WEBSITE INFORMATION - PLEASE ALL READ

Les Henson

This is a bit of a cross over between the fundrasing & forum information thread.

Just a thought here would a LR4x4 pay and play day work? There seems to be plenty of experience in running challenge style events on here. Someone on here must have access to some land (hopefully for free) then have members marshal possibly with entry fees going into the forum funds ? This would maybe allow us to raid the pockets of the jap owners as it wouldn't have to be only open to land rover owners. If there were LR4x4 items for sale this would also be a good place to sell them possibly a BBQ with all profits going into the funds.

Just a thought it could generate a larger amount of money quite quickly.

Most sites seem to charge £20 -£30 plus.

Even if to maximise the event it was run over a weekend open to the public as it were 10:00 - 16:00 saturday and sunday with an overnight camp optional to the marshals/members saving on travelling etc.

I have no personal experience of running something like this but would happily stand at a BBQ for 2 days.

Not sure if this is do-able or not but the more ideas put forward then even if just a small part of each is used something that benefits the forum finacially and socially has to be a good thing!

This is great guys :)

Just to say that we (A&M Team) are reading all this avidly, and we are as a Team looking at the future fuinding

of LR4x4 as well, so we can all be sure of a secure and solid future for the forum.

Also we have the added "Fun" of changing treasurer with TC leaving, at the moment he is still the man in charge of the forum funds, until our bank sorts out the paperwork sent to them for the changeover, once that is done TC can be released :lol: and I get thrown in the deepend (although TC has kindly offerred to play life guard for a while should I need it), and then I have to get to grips with it all.

As such the timing is "Interesting" but none the less the point Les made re funding is 101% valid, leaving things until the bank stops dragging their heels, TC stepping down and Me stepping up would have only seen less funds.... and a even greater problem,

I perosnally really ONLY use this forum, I drop in and out of a few others, but frankly I use this one as it is friendly, VERY Technical and Yes I have benifitted HUGELY over the years, and I do my bit to contribute financially too, as I feel its the right thing to do.

But this forum is special, in that it is moderated to be a useful technical friendly informative forum, not clicky, and not a "Innit yeah Mate sortid m8" chit chat room etc.

Whilst we (the A&M team) may get stick now and again for "Heavy handed moderation" etc, in the main we try to keep as many happy as we can as much of the time as we can and accept we don't always get thing right. I have agreed to take over from TC as I wnat to see this site flourish even more, the tech archive is a superb resource - use it !

As for funding EVERYTHING typed here, or the number Of PMs I and others have had will be looked at over the coming weeks, and we will as a group outline as many as we can to the membership, and see what everyones thoughts are, but, the generousity of a number of you so far after Les appeal is staggering and refreshing, and from me a huge thankyou, I would hate to see this forum in financial straights, the clothing has also bolstered the funds too, and if people wnat more I can get "1 Offs" done now....but just hold on for a few weeks.,

I have no doubt that with the generousity as we have experienced in the last few days from members here, and prob more to come (thats a hint yer know :P ) and the A&M team this forum will be a force to be reconed with in te 4x4 world, valued by many and respected for what is does is, and achives.

Right rant over, just bear with us please, and all the ideas are great, keep them, and the donations and standing orders that some of you have set up coming, even a standing order for a couple of quid a month makes a huge difference

Toodle Pip

Nige

This is great guys :)

Just to say that we (A&M Team) are reading all this avidly, and we are as a Team looking at the future fuinding

of LR4x4 as well, so we can all be sure of a secure and solid future for the forum.

Also we have the added "Fun" of changing treasurer with TC leaving, at the moment he is still the man in charge of the forum funds, until our bank sorts out the paperwork sent to them for the changeover, once that is done TC can be released :lol: and I get thrown in the deepend (although TC has kindly offerred to play life guard for a while should I need it), and then I have to get to grips with it all.

As such the timing is "Interesting" but none the less the point Les made re funding is 101% valid, leaving things until the bank stops dragging their heels, TC stepping down and Me stepping up would have only seen less funds.... and a even greater problem,

I perosnally really ONLY use this forum, I drop in and out of a few others, but frankly I use this one as it is friendly, VERY Technical and Yes I have benifitted HUGELY over the years, and I do my bit to contribute financially too, as I feel its the right thing to do.

But this forum is special, in that it is moderated to be a useful technical friendly informative forum, not clicky, and not a "Innit yeah Mate sortid m8" chit chat room etc.

This is one of the things I love about this forum. Although I have had a few experiences of strange moderation!

Whilst we (the A&M team) may get stick now and again for "Heavy handed moderation" etc, in the main we try to keep as many happy as we can as much of the time as we can and accept we don't always get thing right. I have agreed to take over from TC as I wnat to see this site flourish even more, the tech archive is a superb resource - use it !

As for funding EVERYTHING typed here, or the number Of PMs I and others have had will be looked at over the coming weeks, and we will as a group outline as many as we can to the membership, and see what everyones thoughts are, but, the generousity of a number of you so far after Les appeal is staggering and refreshing, and from me a huge thankyou, I would hate to see this forum in financial straights, the clothing has also bolstered the funds too, and if people wnat more I can get "1 Offs" done now....but just hold on for a few weeks.,

Would it be possible to let all know how much has been put into the coffers since the appeal was posted? might make interesting reading looking!

On the clothing front, thats great news, as I was thinking the other day about having an order thread, and say when it gets to 20 items the order is placed?

I have no doubt that with the generousity as we have experienced in the last few days from members here, and prob more to come (thats a hint yer know :P ) and the A&M team this forum will be a force to be reconed with in te 4x4 world, valued by many and respected for what is does is, and achives.

Right rant over, just bear with us please, and all the ideas are great, keep them, and the donations and standing orders that some of you have set up coming, even a standing order for a couple of quid a month makes a huge difference

Toodle Pip

Nige

Clothing/merchandise wise, would it not be easier all round to set up a CafePress / RedBubble etc. sort of account for the forum so it's all automated and people can just order stuff and have it turn up without admin/mods having to attend to it personally?

OK they take a cut of the proceeds, but it does make things an awful lot easier and more flexible all round.

After 10,000 posts I suppose eventually one was bound to prove useful :P

Also I haven't forgotten I owe a donation from the assorted tat from the shed I foisted onto various forumers a while back - maybe we should have an LR4x4 autojumble somewhere, or even just an LR4x4 yearly gathering?

A yearly gathering would be fun, would go a long way to participate

Kind regards

Ole

Clothing/merchandise wise, would it not be easier all round to set up a CafePress / RedBubble etc. sort of account for the forum so it's all automated and people can just order stuff and have it turn up without admin/mods having to attend to it personally?

OK they take a cut of the proceeds, but it does make things an awful lot easier and more flexible all round.

Cafepress/redbubble is a damn good idea IMHO

An automated site shop would be great.

I showed interest in the clothing but could not order any due to lack of funds.

A forum shop would allow me to make an order when I have the money. If I have to wait a while until there is sufficient orders that is OK as long as I get a reply for the purchase.

Marc.

PS I notice that there has been over 1300 hits on this topic, now if we all paid a few of quid??

Thoughyts are a shop where you can order anything,

the embrioder who I spoke to today is happy to do even 1 offs,

the issue would be postage - ie him to me and me to member

Understandably he doesn't wnat to get involved sending to a member

and then the issue of it being lost, but I go there now and then, so a

way around the cosys of P&P is not impossible :)

Its also then possible to build into this mugs, stickers etc etc,

but bear with us at this fairly major upheaval point, rememebr TC

has done the treasurer role as such FROM DAY 1 so this is a major change

and I wish to say from my point of view a major loss too to LR4x4

TC has done much behind the scences that many here will habe no concept of

his dedication and support of LR4x4 since launch cannot be underestimated

So, clothng wise if anyone wnats anything same prices etc then ask, I think

as 1 off I can do other colours of both clothing and or text embriodered :)

Nige

Just to add that I've been around here from the off too and am taking all the suggestions and ideas onboard. For the health of the forum it's vitally important that members have a say on the future of the place. Please don't misinterpret my lack of input on this thread, it's personally been a difficult time for me this year what with my mother passing away and having to deal with her estate plus I have had some further health issues which have taken some time to get to grips with.

I like many of the things I've read and have made a point of staying on the side and reading all the ideas - please keep 'em coming!

The forum shop idea is a good one and FF suggestions address some of the issues of running our own shop (holding stock, handling payment/shipping) so that has to be good. Possible downsides are the range of branded merchandise would be limited, ie no clutch forks, finger savers or forum rags but if they can do clothing, mugs and stickers that would cover a lot and the other we could just do as one off limited offers as we have to date.

Anyone got any experience of using Cafepress/Redbubble or other similar outfits (to sell or buy)?

Anyone got any experience of using Cafepress/Redbubble or other similar outfits (to sell or buy)?

I know most of them are based in the states so you have to chose wisely to avoid being hit with import duty & silly postage. There is at least one out there though, but I've totally forgotten which one :(

Most of them have a decent choice (shirts, mugs, mousemats, etc.) and for more LR4x4 things like clutch forks - well, they were never going to be done by the local sticker shop were they?

I've recently used Cafepress to buy some t-shirts and other stuff (I haven't tried any of the custom stuff yet). The quality seems good (Fruit of the Loom mostly). They have a UK website now and the goods have been dispatched and delivered within a week or so. One good thing in using Cafepress is that the more you buy in one order, the more discount you get.

Just sent a tenner, will do it again when i get another prod!!

Thanks for making the forum what it is guys, all those of us that use it are i;';m sure grateful for all the work that goes on in the background, we just maybe don;t say 'thanks' enough!! either in words, or financially..!!

• 1 month later...

Hiya All :D

This is your new treasurer speaking (Yes I know :P )

Seriously, 1st a big "Ta Muchly" to those who have responded to les H original post, all contributions to the forum

are brillinat, the size of LR4x4, the bandwidth it uses, and the costs are far far more than most will ever percive,

yet, we remain 100% independant and self funding.

Which brings me to why I am posting :)

This is simple - thuis forum costs a large amount iof monies a month to run, as the treaurer, I feel honour bound

to ensure that LR4x4 has a long healthy and financially stable life, and as such the entire A&M Team is currently looking

at options ideas and suggestions to aid funding in both a regaular and one off ways.

There are some great ideas in this post which are now being evelauated, however, I am asking yet again for ideas thoughts

and input from the membership as a whole. We need to increase funding, so, as a member, what would you suggest we do

what maybe do you think is a good idea, don't be shy :moglite: tell us, the more ideas an input the more secure we

can plan and make LR4x4.com, any idea, however mad may have seeds of something there.

As an example, We are about to launch a 2nd forum in the For Sale section, here, you can sell as now, but agree for either

a set amount or a percentage or ALL of the sale proceeds to come to LR4x4, thins was suggested By Tony Cordell, just before

he resigned and we are at the last knocking of making this a reality, ideas such as this will help fund, and thus secure the

future of the forum.

Similarly many of you will have noticed the donate button appear, a more visual and easy way to see how to donate, after you

have found something here, or maybe in the excellent tech archive that has just saved you a week / fortune, and since this

appeared we have seen an increase of funding and donations - to thos ewho have many thanks

So, over to you all, ideas suggestions about what we as a forum can look at and consider to raise funds

SHOUT IT OUT - no matter how Barkin' :D

Nige

I like the idea of a forum gathering perhaps using one of the shows as a venue. We could have a stall selling forum clothing and some spares. I will set up. A standing order once Nige has sent details

TSK, thin end of the commercial wedge?

BEFORE you make the idea a reality, can I suggest you lay down, at least amongst yourselves, what are you going to do when:

A/ A fellow retailer challenges you as to your independence, when you clearly have a vested interest? Abuse is one option, but I'd hope for a more considered response. Something that can be quoted on Radio 4 before the watershed.

B/ A purchaser of forum regalia complains it's carp, overpriced, or something similar?

You may need to build in a 'no-quibble' returns policy, similar to how X-Eng work, and accept that at sometime you are going to get ripped off, but it's worth the cost to be seen as 'squeaky clean'.

HTH

There's a line between selling forum clothing & other stuff (EG Les's modified clutch forks), and selling commercially available stuff (EG going into the parts business) which I doubt is what's being suggested.

Can I suggest a slightly aesthetic point - the donate button is using quite a bit of real estate at the top of the page, perhaps a one-liner such as:

"Has this forum saved you time or money? Donate!"

would be neater? (Yes my house does contain 2 1/2 web designers :ph34r: )