rev counter not working, new alternator

moose

morning all,

last week my alternator on my 300tdi died. not opened it up yet but it must have got very hot as there are drips of molten solder round the casing.

So i got a new one, it looks like the old one was a 85 amp one but i got a "A127/100 AMP" and fitted it.

It seems to be working fine, charging the battery and the dash battery light goes out after the engine is started as normal. But i have no reading on the rev counter?

all the terminals are connected correctly, and the rev counter feed is on the "W" spade connector.

So any ideas as to what is happening?

it there a way to test the "W" feed from the alternator? if i put a multi meter on it what should i be looking for?

thanks for any input

Paul

morning all,

last week my alternator on my 300tdi died. not opened it up yet but it must have got very hot as there are drips of molten solder round the casing.

So i got a new one, it looks like the old one was a 85 amp one but i got a "A127/100 AMP" and fitted it.

It seems to be working fine, charging the battery and the dash battery light goes out after the engine is started as normal. But i have no reading on the rev counter?

all the terminals are connected correctly, and the rev counter feed is on the "W" spade connector.

So any ideas as to what is happening?

it there a way to test the "W" feed from the alternator? if i put a multi meter on it what should i be looking for?

thanks for any input

Paul

It is normally just a series of pulses. I'm not sure if a multimeter will actually show anything. A digital one, most certainly wouldn't as it won't react quick enough.

Apart from borrowing another alternator, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Cheers

Peter

Try cutting back the wire and putting a new connector on it, worked on mine as the wire was snapped inside the sheathing where it had got too hot

its an idea as the wire does look a little brittle..

I quess the only way to test if its the alternator would be to steal another one of someone for 5 mins...

If turns out not to be the alternator... whats between that wire on the back alternator and the counter? guess no fuses etc.. to check?