Defender fuel lift pump fitting issue

Hi

I've managed to remove the fuel lift pump from a 19j td defender (1987) but the new pump doesn't seem to want to fit on to the mounting plate. I thought it may be an issue with the 'prong' part of the pump entering the hole in the mounting plate though, the pump wasn't sliding along the mounting plate pump attachment bolts. I refitted the original pump without a problem. So, can anyone suggest what the issue may be? Either the pump is wrong (I bought it from a reputable landy company) or, the bolt holes on the pump itself are mis-aligned?

Any suggestions to resolve it as soon as possible?

ETC7869 is the correct item for your engine, but also fits the 200tdi engine too.

compare the operating finger length that runs on the cam lobe, maybe the new pump is longer.

Thanks for the advice. What can be done if it turns out to be longer than the removed operating finger?

only option is to return it to the supplier to be exchange, but take the originally removed pump so you can compare it,

there are 2 posible lift pumps for a TD, depending on engine number

RTC6180 up to engine serial number 19J14097C or the ETC7869 for engines after that serial number.

hth.

Might need a spacer if the new pump turns out to have a longer arm. The newer vehicles had it built into the casing - i dont know if all 19J engines had it or of the older ones need the spacer block for the newer type pump.

The other thing is, if the cam lobe is up when you are trying to fit the pump, it will often appear to sit higher than the holes in the casing and need pushing down a little to line the bolts up. Try turning the engine over half a turn with a wrench on the crank bolt. If this is the problem, the old pump may go back in easily as the arm may be looser that the new pump.

Might need a spacer if the new pump turns out to have a longer arm. The newer vehicles had it built into the casing - i dont know if all 19J engines had it or of the older ones need the spacer block for the newer type pump.

The other thing is, if the cam lobe is up when you are trying to fit the pump, it will often appear to sit higher than the holes in the casing and need pushing down a little to line the bolts up. Try turning the engine over half a turn with a wrench on the crank bolt. If this is the problem, the old pump may go back in easily as the arm may be looser that the new pump.

Thanks for the advice. I'm also probably going to need to remove the studs to fit new allen key ones for the pump to attach to the mount plate. What's the best way to remove them? I am considering getting two nuts and tightening them in opposite directions to make a bolt then try to remove the stud anti-clockwise. Or, maybe get a wrench and rotate anti clockwise until they are out. Any other or better suggestions?