24 volt series 3.... are all parts 24v?

RobSmith

Hi All,

I will be converting my 24v series 3 to 12v.

I am wondering if the wiper motor, guages, heater fan and maybe a few other things are made for use on 24 volt or did they run on 12v from some sort of voltage splitter?

I have not investigated the actual parts yet but thought someone might know.

Also the temperature and fuel guage also has a third oil temperature guage seemingly added at a strange angle in the bottom 1/3rd of the guage. It looks like a proper addition but was wondering if anyone can shed any light on this?

Rob

Many say the 24v. system is superior. The 24v. "Lightweight" I worked on a while

ago had a voltage dropper for the 12v. coil, don't know if your S3 is the same,

but I would have thought it would be pretty standard.

You can replace the shielded distributor, plug leads, coil and plugs with ordinary S3

fitments, leaving all other electrical fittings as is.

You could probably replace the large military alternator with a 24v. commercial

vehicle one if you wished.

Surely changing everything electrical will be time consuming, not to mention costly,

unless you have a ready source for s/hand parts.

Many say the 24v. system is superior. The 24v. "Lightweight" I worked on a while

ago had a voltage dropper for the 12v. coil, don't know if your S3 is the same,

but I would have thought it would be pretty standard.

You can replace the shielded distributor, plug leads, coil and plugs with ordinary S3

fitments, leaving all other electrical fittings as is.

You could probably replace the large military alternator with a 24v. commercial

vehicle one if you wished.

Surely changing everything electrical will be time consuming, not to mention costly,

unless you have a ready source for s/hand parts.

I do not have a ready source for second hand 24v parts which is a part of the problem.

My series 3 has quite a heap of bits missing....no alternator, no batteries, no 24v starter needs headlights etc.

The few 24v things it does have are not a good enough reason to go down the 24v route.

I do have the wiper motor, heater fan, indicator flasher, and a few other things and it was these I was wondering if I would need to change.

Rob

OK. Looked at this on my FFR.

Everything is 24V except the coil and ignition. Yes most do have 24->12V converters but some, like mine, run the coil from one battery and a charge equaliser between the two 12V batteries. The converter is only for the ignition coil and distributor.

You need to replace starter, wiper motor, gauges, alternator, indicator flasher unit, voltage regulators and relays. Remove the split charge diode if you have it. The loom and lights will still all work. Of course the 24V lights might be a bit more dim.

The 12V droppers were added to the 24V vehicles once their usefulness as radio vehicles was removed (the 90/110 versions came in) so a lot of the 24Vs will have had a conversion just for the engine electrics, as the dizzy, HT leads and spark plugs cost a fortune in 24V shielded form.

You can get good money for the 24V bits on the 'bay, should be able to cover most of the cost of 12V parts for conversion, just use the same loom, it's identical between 12 and 24V vehicles save for the charging electrics which you can make up yourself very easily.

As for the 24V bulbs, you will need to change them all out, using the inverse square law, halving the voltage will drop the light output to a quarter, so don't even think about leaving the 24V bulbs in thereĀ  :ph34r:

Whatever. The points made were to do with the essential requirements that might otherwise prevent the vehicle from running. Light bulbs can be changed at will but having 24V bulbs will not prevent the vehicle from running nor will it result in damage to components.

But clearly the humour in the note went right over your head.

I do not have a ready source for second hand 24v parts which is a part of the problem.

My series 3 has quite a heap of bits missing....no alternator, no batteries, no 24v starter needs headlights etc.

The few 24v things it does have are not a good enough reason to go down the 24v route.

I do have the wiper motor, heater fan, indicator flasher, and a few other things and it was these I was wondering if I would need to change.

Rob

Ah, you didn't say in your initial post that half the electricals were missing!

By a "ready source of s/hand parts" I was referring to the 12v. parts you would

be needing.

Sorry for the small misunderstanding.

Whatever. The points made were to do with the essential requirements that might otherwise prevent the vehicle from running. Light bulbs can be changed at will but having 24V bulbs will not prevent the vehicle from running nor will it result in damage to components.

But clearly the humour in the note went right over your head.

But you'll get nicked.

Actually the humour did not go over my head.