Diesel Engine

leigh rowland

I have just put a 2,5 diesel engine into my series 3. The engine is known to be good but had been standing for some time.I have not fitted the oil cooler. The engine starts quite easily and appears to run well without very much smoke at all.It seems to have plenty of power and pulls happily on the road. However it is literally pumping oil out of any available orifice. It started doing so around the oil filter housing and then the dipstick . It is breathing very heavy through the Oil filler cap and some traces of oil are coming up and back into the air intake. Now it is pushing oil out through the front crankshaft oil seal. There is no other "breather" on the engine save the one through the oil filler cap. Even on the road there is little blue smoke from the exhaust, so I assume the rings are ok.Anyone got any idea what may be the problem?? Leigh

I have just put a 2,5 diesel engine into my series 3. The engine is known to be good but had been standing for some time.I have not fitted the oil cooler. The engine starts quite easily and appears to run well without very much smoke at all.It seems to have plenty of power and pulls happily on the road. However it is literally pumping oil out of any available orifice. It started doing so around the oil filter housing and then the dipstick . It is breathing very heavy through the Oil filler cap and some traces of oil are coming up and back into the air intake. Now it is pushing oil out through the front crankshaft oil seal. There is no other "breather" on the engine save the one through the oil filler cap. Even on the road there is little blue smoke from the exhaust, so I assume the rings are ok.Anyone got any idea what may be the problem?? Leigh

Sounds like a worn engine i my books, its dumping compression to the sump hence the oil will be forced trough every opening it can find, unless its over filled with oil! Or maybe a blown head gasket into an oilway.

G