300 tdi ignition switch confusion

I got a new ignition switch last week for my '96 Defender 300tdi.

It said it was OK for that year but it the old one only has 4 connections as opposed to 5 on the new one.

In addition, the old one is all 6.25mm spade terminals whereas 2 of the terminals on the new one are the wider 9.3mm.

I'd be happy to adapt & put new connectors on, but I can't make any sense of the switching on the new one.

The old one has a supply on pin 2 which connects to pin 5 on 'Aux', pin 3 on 'On' and pin 1 for 'start'. Nice and logical!!

The new switch has ...

- pins 2 & 4 connected when off

- pins 1, 2 & 3 connected when 'on'

- pins 2, 3 & 5 connected for 'Start'

and nothing at all connected in the 'Aux' position

This last is the problem, the rest I could work around!

I could take 2 or 3 as the input; 1 as the 'on' feed and 5 as the 'start' but I have no power in 'Aux' which feeds things like radio, heater, etc.

(... and why have 2 & 4 connected when its off???)

I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and advice. I know I can go back to the (eBay) supplier but I've taken the old switch out and thus I'm off the road till I sort his out!

Thanks

Steve

I'd seen that post but the new switch doesn't look like those - especially the numbering!

post-9499-063569000 1287649997_thumb.jpg

In the picture, the terminals are numbered 1, 5, 2, 3, 4 starting from the small one at 5 o'clock and going anti-clockwise.

5 and 2 are the wider terminals - that's the ones at 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

I mentioned the electrical connection pattern earlier and it doesn't seem to make any sense to me!

Steve

Thanks but I've now found somewhere that can supply the correct switch. Googling suggests that the one they sent me is for pre-tdi versions.

I could have bodged it but I would have had no usable 'aux' position so I'll send it back.

Steve