RRC with VW 6cyl D from LT light truck

ivanlrlukic

Dear fellows,

I've been offered RRC (1973) with VW 6 cyl. non-turbo enfine from LT light truck (or Volvo car, actually Volvo is written on engine). Engine is mated to LT95 gearbox. Any experience with this setup? If worth considering I'll visit seler to check vehicle personally on weekend.

Regards, Ivan.

I wouldnt bother,a 200TDI is not much cop against an LT95 which has its 195ft/lb at about 1750rpm, and that 6cyl VW engine is not known for its low down torque.They also suffer badly from head/head gasket issues when they work hard or loose coolant.

There is also the matter of two largely unprotected toothed belts - not much good in mud/water.

If anybody is interested in second (and most probably the last) episode with the truck, here it goes. Enterior & exterior are in a sad shape. OTOH engine conversion looks much better. Engine sump from Volvo engine is cut & reshaped on one end, in order to miss diff. housing. Bellhousing is not LT95 original (at least seems to me) because there is no adapter plate between it and engine. To me it looks like bellhousing from Volvo (or other vehicle that has useed D24 engine), somehow mated to LT95. Engine pulls but as advised it is not to be considered as reasonable conversion. It looks like sills are repaired with some light metal stuff, duraluminium or something welded to steel...

Regards, Ivan.