300TDi Coolant Pipework

RichardAllen

I want to tweak the pipework routing on my Defencer 300TDi engine. Is there any harm putting in parts made from standard domestic copper pipe ? I am thinking about the potential for corrosion either on the copper pipe itself or elsewhere in the engine coolant system.

All wisdom gratefully received.

Regards

Richard Allen

I've seen a vehicle that was almost totally converted to copper pipework (tidy job as well). The only rubber bits left were where vibration absorbtion was necessary. Anti-freeze has no effect on copper.

I service and maintain quite a few Ice Cream vans during the season and their pipework is modified with domestic copper pipe. No noticeable problems with them at all.

Les.

I used to work for Leyland Truck & Bus, & some buses had the copper piping, but did not use soldered joints, and there were no problems. They did have swaged ends for rubber couplers, and used JCS hi-torque clips. If you are planing to use copper for anything above heater piping, I think bending it will be a swine of a job.

Nigel

Hi, I'm interested in this as well. Is there any considerations to the size of the tubing? I'm no plumber but the radiator hoses are a much larger diameter than standard domestic copper piping will this cause a problem with flow or pressure? In my opinion it would be a dream to be able to weld in a brass tap at the bottom of the radiator to allow easy draining!!

This rang a very distant bell- one angle to think about would be a potential electrochemical reaction where copper and aluminium meet in the presence of an electrolyte. As I seem to recall, they sit at opposite ends of the galvanic spectrum and have high potential for corrosion if in contact and soaked with a suitable electrolyte. Maybe there are some chemists here that left college more recently than 30 years ago who can add something/ fact check me on this?

I too believe there is an electrochemical problem with Al & Cu used in an engine.

However, there are special types of Antifreeze designed to prevent problems.

You could always use the plastic, quick-fit plumbing which is available in pretty big sizes.

Si

Copper pipe work and ally boilers, rads have been used many years in plumbing just use a suitable inhibitor pipes are available in sizes up to 2" but bending them may cause problems, fittings are available giving 45* angles as well as 90* braize or silver solder the joints rather than solder. Polish it all up afterwards it will look nice.

I'd imagine a nice set of pipes in 51mm copper, with 15mm heater pipes running about the place & maybe proper brass taps here and there would give a splendid 'Engine room of Royal Yacht Brittania' ambience. It would be quite disappointing that you didn't have to get steam up. Cost an arm & leg I suspect.

Nigel

I'd imagine a nice set of pipes in 51mm copper, with 15mm heater pipes running about the place & maybe proper brass taps here and there would give a splendid 'Engine room of Royal Yacht Brittania' ambience. It would be quite disappointing that you didn't have to get steam up. Cost an arm & leg I suspect.

Nigel

Engine room of the Brittania is amazing! never seen anything like it before! god forbid they had to fix something, would have taken days to make everything shiney again.

I'll polish my engine one day... maybe when the day comes that I have to remove it for a shiney turner block!