SAS Fast Strike vehicle...

Maverik

I'd say a film prop too Chris, Thing is I know full well that a 300 tdi disco will only just fit in the back of a Chinook on 205x16 tyres as we did in Bosnia with the side mirrors folded in and that thing on 900x16 tyres and all that scaffolding would not fit into one

John

Interesting that the seller claims it was developed after Desert Storm, which would put it at early to mid '90's, but in the photos you can see a 1984 'B' registration.

Engine wise, the petrol V8 would be out of date and petrol was already falling out of favour with the army by this date too.

The wheels and tyres also would be out-of-date sizing for this age, plus the space for the spare would clearly not fit a 9.00x16 tyre.

Now, i'm no military vehicle expert, but I reckon that thing is not for real....

The seller claims that he has supporting documentation to prove the history, I might ask some questions and find out what that would be!

One of the few things I know about the 22 regt. guys is that in general they don't like Land Rovers, same as they don't particuarly like the issues weapons. They're too used to getting to use whatever they want :P

thats why there prefered vehicle in the 80,s and early 90,s was the range rover classic then!

There's some discussion on this, over at the EMLRA forum -

http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=8183

His Auction isn't even for the purchase of the vehicle :o

There's some old bo11ox about "you are bidding to buy the right to ownership of this vehicle and you are buying the deposit for it, only"

I'm sure that's against eBay Auction Rules :angry:

I thought I'd seen this somewhere before. Three or so years ago, this was at the Defender Centre in the Midlands. I thought it looked like a film prop then. I tried to ask about it then, but no-one could be bothered to come out and speak to me (I was looking to buy a Defender at the time).

post-1731-055856800 1288118575_thumb.jpg

post-1731-003359200 1288118578_thumb.jpg

post-1731-002159900 1288118580_thumb.jpg

Well If they can get a Pinkie with a ring, or the earlier ones on the back of a chinook (and yes they get two in there, and yes tight is not the word) then they could get one of these in.....

9.00 x 16 tyres were in use by the SAS on the Pinkies right up until 2005, so think again about that......

Again, the pinkies were V8 and used until 2005. They trialled the 200tdi in 1992/93 in the KK batch, but they really didnt like them. There was an upgrade programme running to convert the Pinkies to 300tdi, but that was only completed on I beleive 12 vehicles, and then they were all pentioned off so most went to the knackers with V8's in..... so guess again on that.

But... this vehicle is a complete crock. It is not a military trials vehicle, and deffo not an SAS vehicle. I do agree it is most likley a film prop. I feel for anyone to part with thier hard earned on this one really needs to part company with thier senses.....

And if the 22 lads dont like Landies, then how come they are still using them?

It simply has to be a film prop, the military would want even a prototype to be better built than that, i mean, the 'cage' has no triagulation what-so-ever..... it would simply fold flat if you leant on it.... and i mean, its even sporting a FORD grill!!!!!!!!!!!!! the guy selling it either has a very good imagination, or he got conned when he acquired it...... and as for his wording in the listing, its a joke...!

If anyone is near Bridgewater or Taunton in somerset, they might wanna make contact with him and go for a look....LOL!!

And if the 22 lads dont like Landies, then how come they are still using them?

They don't have to like them to use them! :P

I've had the pleasure (?) of associating with quite a few ex-servicemen, a few of them ex-UKSF, and the one thing they all have in common is a general mistrust of their equipment, including the Landies.

They don't have to like them to use them! :P

I've had the pleasure (?) of associating with quite a few ex-servicemen, a few of them ex-UKSF, and the one thing they all have in common is a general mistrust of their equipment, including the Landies.

as an ex serving raf engineer,having spent time attatched to an raf regiment squadron i tend to agree with sas pinkies comments,the sas are governed to a degree by mod purchasing policy,but they have a free hand in developing vehicles,which is one of the reasons why they have stuck with landrover,as they have to be able to maintain them them selves in theatre,but hey what do i know?

as an ex serving raf engineer,having spent time attatched to an raf regiment squadron i tend to agree with sas pinkies comments,the sas are governed to a degree by mod purchasing policy,but they have a free hand in developing vehicles,which is one of the reasons why they have stuck with landrover,as they have to be able to maintain them them selves in theatre,but hey what do i know?

Sorry, I don't wish to start any arguments! Just relaying the views I was given!

Go onto the ARRSE website and check out the definition of a walt. Then draw your own conclusions .....

As an airsofter I take offence :P

it looks like someone has tried to build a faux jackel-with a pile of scrap. It would be interesting who exactly the current owner claims to have worked for-there arnt that many companies who were building that sort of stuff at the time this would have been built.