Waxoil vs Dynax S-50

tweetyduck

I've just got 4 tins of this DYNAX S-50 so i wanted to see if it lived up to the hype. Check out the guys test.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=4032850&highlight=dynax+test#post4032850

seems like it does.........

I will post again to let you know how i get on with the spray tips. I should point out that the brass prescision tip looks like something that should come with any coating like "waxoil". The one you get with waxoil is pitiful. If the quality of the tip is an indication of the product then it should be great. The extension provided for the 750ml spray can is 60cm long with the professional looking brass tip. I'm going to give it a test this evening.

post-19188-061319200 1288187747_thumb.jpg

I've been out with the first can and had a play :P. Got dark so had to stop.

The spray atomises very well and the tube easily reaches along inside the chassis. I'd go as far as to say its delivery is as good as the professional spray videos i've seen. I saw some on YouTube of a guy doing the cavities on a car with a compressor and a pro gun and lance. The spray out of the can and brass tip is nearly as good. Video below of the one i saw, the pressure of application is similar. I'm not sure if the delivery is as liberal as a pro but it certainly drifts out of the holes you pass whilst doing it. Something you don't get with a nail in the end of a tube.....:lol:

I've used 2/3 of a can and the spray is still strong. I've done both chassis extensions twice forwards and back from the hole on the low point near the anti roll. I've done the middle of the chassis twice forward and backwards from the holes in the centre of the chassis under the rear doors. I think you could go mad with 4 cans and you might be able to make do with 2 cans if you knew exactly what you were doing. I'm going to do my doors and all sorts so 4 cans should be plenty.

If i can find a piece of drain pipe i'm going to have a play and see what the coating is like. I'll drill a hole and apply like i just have and see what the results inside are. I suppose i should have done that first.

Including Delivery 4 cans were £53.70

The delivery is so much easier than waxoil. I should also point out you can buy it in raw liquid form so you can use your own compressor.

I used S-50 spray cans on my RR 2 years ago.

Filled each sill with a tin and the inside of the rear crossmember plus other area - headlight boxes etc, doors, pillars etc....

Easy to apply. Make sure tins are warm first - keep in the house.

I don't have air compressors etc so was very impressed with this product.

My link

I have used S-50 applied by compressor, and am quite impressed. It's not especially cheap but I think it's much better than normal Waxoyl -seems to stick better, and in my limited experience Bilthamber products generally seem to work well. The warming before use is very important, as it changes from a school custard emulation to a liquid like 3-in-1 oil. Once it hits cold metal it reverts to custard. Only thing I'd say is this weather it's easy to get a big build up of this kind of stuff as it effectively freezes on, but when the weather warms some it seems to drip off, so don't overdo it or it'll be wasted.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

Is S50e for spraying the outside of the chassis as well as inside, my 1994 defender has a light surface rust all over the chassis, I was thinking of buying the sandblaser kit for my karcher pressure washer giving it a squirt then treating it with waxoil, is there anything better I could be using.

I was intending to wire brush it but that looks like a lot of work out in the cold :unsure:

I prefer the wire brush idea (powered). I'm using a grinder brush and drill attachments to do mine, then waxoyling it.

Its come to a halt recently though as waxoyl is flammable and there is a hole that needs repairing under the gearbox crossmember. The transfer box is leaking and i was going to repair the hole when the box is off. I keep delaying on the box, which means i delay the welding and thus delay the waxoyling and so no need to do the grinding/brushing! I'll get there in the end though, but the rest of the chassis may have rotted by then!!

Oh yeah, get one of those flexible drill shafts as well, makes these jobs with a wire brush much easier.

Is S50e for spraying the outside of the chassis as well as inside, my 1994 defender has a light surface rust all over the chassis, I was thinking of buying the sandblaser kit for my karcher pressure washer giving it a squirt then treating it with waxoil, is there anything better I could be using.

I was intending to wire brush it but that looks like a lot of work out in the cold :unsure:

No its meant for inside. I'm using hammerite underbody seal with added waxoil for the externals. Just pressure wash and let it dry and apply direct over the rust.