Strange noise when turning left

I get a "metallic scratching" noise from front left wheel when turning hard left. My first thought was that I had a stone or something alike stuck behind the brake disc shield. At least that’s how I imagine that would sound like. That was not the case however. This is the actions I've taken to eliminate the noise:

Change wheel bearings front left wheel.

Refill swivel grease front left wheel. Swivel is sealed for life but I put some new grease in anyway.

Renew axle oil on front axle.

None of the above made any difference to the noise.

It's a LHD Defender 90 1998. Anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be?

CV starting to give up is my guess.

I get a "metallic scratching" noise from front left wheel when turning hard left. My first thought was that I had a stone or something alike stuck behind the brake disc shield. At least that’s how I imagine that would sound like. That was not the case however. This is the actions I've taken to eliminate the noise:

Change wheel bearings front left wheel.

Refill swivel grease front left wheel. Swivel is sealed for life but I put some new grease in anyway.

Renew axle oil on front axle.

None of the above made any difference to the noise.

It's a LHD Defender 90 1998. Anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be?

I should take it out for a look before ordering anything - CV's aren't cheap!

But it sounds like that to me. Change the big oil seal on the swivel housing while you are at it, I guess you have probably just done hub seal while you were doing wheel bearings?

When I made my last post I was still under the impression that a CV-joint was about £24+VAT. I have now been advised to get a good quality one and since then discovered that there is a variety of prices on the market. Ranging from £24 to £183+VAT at Land Rover Sweden. With that in mind I'll investigate the old CV first. But how do I, with my limited experience, tell a worn CV from a good one?

Also, where would you recommend me to buy a new one? (A good quality one at a reasonable price.)

well. what are you using the Lr for?

I use my Lr for off road mainly (well not lately to be honest) and I use the £30 option from craddock or whereever.

the £183 price - -is that a GKN or something like that - I personnally wouldn't bother, but choice is yours.

I have only broken 3 cv's I think -and they are the cheap ones in 6 years.

a cv should have no play in it (side to side slop) at any angle you put it in, so thats a way of telling, don't know any other way. I am sure someone else will say something more about it.

Just checking here - its not a track rod joint is it - or the drop arm ball joint? get some one to turn the wheels for you whilst you check/listen out for it.

:)

When I made my last post I was still under the impression that a CV-joint was about £24+VAT. I have now been advised to get a good quality one and since then discovered that there is a variety of prices on the market. Ranging from £24 to £183+VAT at Land Rover Sweden. With that in mind I'll investigate the old CV first. But how do I, with my limited experience, tell a worn CV from a good one?

Also, where would you recommend me to buy a new one? (A good quality one at a reasonable price.)

well. what are you using the Lr for?

It's my everyday car. Almost no off road at all. Unfourtunately. Mostly urban driving.

the £183 price - -is that a GKN or something like that - I personnally wouldn't bother, but choice is yours.

It's an OME part I guess since it's from Land Rover. Should be GKN then, right?

Just checking here - its not a track rod joint is it - or the drop arm ball joint? get some one to turn the wheels for you whilst you check/listen out for it.

I changed the bad ones 2 month ago. Thay are all allright.

I don't need any top quality for off road purpose, I just don't want to put myself or fellow motorists at risk because I use poor quality parts.