X-Eng disk hand brake wear

NegevLandRover

I have had my X-Eng disk hand brake for a couple of years and am very happy with it. Have just discovered that the front of the two disks has completly worn through while the rear remains nice and thick. Took the whole thing apart and found that the sleeves on the two bolts that should allow the whole thing to "float" have locked (gunk and corrosion) - got them free.

Questions are: is the reason for this un even wear due to these sleeves being locked ?

what can I do to avoid the sleeves locking again ?

if the sleeves are not the reason what, in your opinion, might be ?

TIA

Adam

The pads do wear due to the setting of the brake - it should be set so they rub slightly.

The excessive/uneven wear does sound like it's caused by the sliders not operating as they should. I always put mine together with an extra smear of copper grease on the outside of the metal spacers and have never had any issues... Even though I dunk mine in horrible stuff every time we compete...

Simon will sell you a set of pads to replace your worn ones and they are a simple item to replace.

Got a M8 passing through the UK a couple of months ago to pick me up a set of pads but he has miss laid them and now I am at the stage where the housing is rubbing on the disk so I have taken the whole thing off and as an emergency fix have sent one of the pads to be re-surfaced by a local brake company. Can't work on a hand brake-less LR so have to get this cleared up ASAP.

All this after having a rear radius arm let go while in one of the wildest regions - managed to keep the LR on it's wheels and jury riged with ratchets to get the clients to the camp site and then spent half the night trucking parts in and then fixing it up. Total damage is a dented fuel tank, one very expensive shock absorber and a grazed drive shaft. Still trying to figure out why a nylock nut (found near by and un-damaged) let go.

Can't work on a hand brake-less LR so have to get this cleared up ASAP.

You can buy the pads from any JCB or Matbro dealer - though they are more costly than direct from X-eng IIRC. Not sure if the local re-manufacturer will be able to replace the correct sintered ad material.

JCB in Tzur-Igal

Chris

Edited to repair bad link

Edited by GBMUD

Chris - fantastic link, I had no idea that I could get them here. The cost of postage from the UK is several times higher than that of the parts and when I got the brake the cost of the postage and handling was higher than the cost of the whole disk brake !!

Any idea what the part number is and what brake it comes off ?

Adam

Chris - fantastic link, I had no idea that I could get them here. The cost of postage from the UK is several times higher than that of the parts and when I got the brake the cost of the postage and handling was higher than the cost of the whole disk brake !!

Any idea what the part number is and what brake it comes off ?

Adam

Sorry Adam, none. Si might be able to help but not till after 0900BST. Just take the old pad into the dealer as a pattern.

As a note of interest, X-eng sells the whole handbrake kit for less than JCB sell the caliper as a spare part. :)

Chris

As has already been stated, the slides need to be greased occasionally. A grease for sliding surfaces like Lithium or Moly is good.

I can't imagine sending a set of pads to Israel with Royal Mail will cost much. They only weigh 500g.

Just looked on Royal Mail's web site. They say £6.87 - so the total cost will be £36.87.

Mail me if you want me to organise it.

Si

Si - thanks for that. My M8 picked up a couple of sets from you at a LR fair in the UK a couple of months ago but has miss placed them. He is sure that they will turn up but if he does not find them soon I will purchase another set from you.

Any chance of you upgrading the brake to include a grease nipple on those bushes ? Is it doable ? Would a regular squirt of WD40 or silicon spray like MTB chain lube suffice ?

Thanks,

Adam