Drive flanges

LR90

OK, did the rear axle swap at the weekend replacing the 90's drum braked unit with my recycled RR disk braked jobby.

Few niggles but one that caught me unawares was the 90's drive flanges (coz I didn't want to use the RR 10 spline mushroom headed shafts) didn't fit. Bolts were different sizes and the real gotcha is the PCD is also different. Manged to solve it my modifying the flanges with a file so I was able to get the truck back on the road but clearly not all drive flanges are the same.

So, what's the story with drive flanges? What are the variants, when did any changeovers occur, whats interchangeable,...

OK, did the rear axle swap at the weekend replacing the 90's drum braked unit with my recycled RR disk braked jobby.

Few niggles but one that caught me unawares was the 90's drive flanges (coz I didn't want to use the RR 10 spline mushroom headed shafts) didn't fit. Bolts were different sizes and the real gotcha is the PCD is also different. Manged to solve it my modifying the flanges with a file so I was able to get the truck back on the road but clearly not all drive flanges are the same.

So, what's the story with drive flanges? What are the variants, when did any changeovers occur, whats interchangeable,...

Metric and imperial with different hole pcd.

Change was around early 90's?

KAM Diffs are bringing out a new bling jobby in tough steel that is universal, 10 holes 5 of one type 5 of the different type!

Guest diesel_jim

I've been down the same road with my axles.

i managed to make the defender drive flanges fit the RR drive hubs by drilling and tapping out the bolt holes, but they kept coming loose.

in the end i found out that you can use the RR stub axles (or preferably early 90 front's) with the 23 spline drive hub, so that the drive member fits on perfectly.

Thanks for the replies, the Ashcroft link is very helpfull and I've seen drawing of the KAM drive member. I guess I'd like to pursue Jim's ideas though and try to avoid having different flange front and rear. Jim, sounds like you sorted your front axle, I'm talking rear axle here so is there a hub that will fit the RR stub axles (bearings seem to be common)?

Simple, old ones are 3/8" UNF (9/16" A/F) and newer ones are 10mm (17mm A/F). I have a new style ones on the front of my Defender (1991) and old style ones on the rear, 1973 Range Rover, axle with the mushroom head shafts. I do not find having different ones to be a problem.

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
Thanks for the replies, the Ashcroft link is very helpfull and I've seen drawing of the KAM drive member. I guess I'd like to pursue Jim's ideas though and try to avoid having different flange front and rear. Jim, sounds like you sorted your front axle, I'm talking rear axle here so is there a hub that will fit the RR stub axles (bearings seem to be common)?

You can fit either the front stub axles from early 90/110 onto the RR/disco rear casing (along with the drive hub) or just fit the 90/110 drive hub straight onto the RR stub axle, although you end up with a mis match of the oil seals and bits. i just grabbed a couple from sodbury IIRC.

I'm in the middle of converting a drum braked salisbury to disc, and the 90/110 hubs will fit onto the drum braked stub axles too.