Helmets and harnesses or not?

To be fair the worst case with the msa is that you would have to prep yourself and your car to compsafari spec.

Ie:

Approved rollcage,

min. of 3 point harnesses,

helmet to the relavent british standard.

At the end of the day it is only going to be classed as a clubmans event, no need for full international event rules is there.

IMHO Most (if not all) of the injuries i've seen at off road events wouldn't have happened, if the level of vehicle prep was higher.

Are you sure the above is correct. last time i looked it was 50mm above top of helmet, and 50mm to the outside of your shoulder.

Just check the blue book i am dead sure it is more than 2 " .

We don't roll the trucks deliberately

:lol:

I appreciate that... but you would think a whole lot harder about what you were doing if you knew it was going to cost you all your points - I do not know what would constitute rolled mind you. Mo has a picture of my 90 with two wheels off the ground on one side while leaning against a bank. Were it not for the bank I would have been right over - Sandbag, in the passenger seat, was not impressed! Just a thought.

Chris

I appreciate that... but you would think a whole lot harder about what you were doing if you knew it was going to cost you all your points - I do not know what would constitute rolled mind you. Mo has a picture of my 90 with two wheels off the ground on one side while leaning against a bank. Were it not for the bank I would have been right over - Sandbag, in the passenger seat, was not impressed! Just a thought.

Chris

Brian Hartley (Club offroad Aka Bulldog, etc....) has been Taking points of teams for roll overs for somer time now......

It is a rule i HATE :angry:

Who in there right mind would roll a car on purpose? For what gain?

Just to smash your car up???????

It ALWAYS leads to arguments of "Is it a roll over, No it's got two wheels on the ground"

Or "i can't have rolled i was in a ditch"

I was nearly penalised for a roll over at last years bulldog, but as we ALL pointed out, I drove in and drove out without the assitance of a winch.........

Whether or not i had only two wheels on the ground is inmaterial, I WAS IN CONTROL.....(ish :P )

So was that a roll over????

I rest my case.......

Added to this the fact i was AGAIN accused of a roll over the previous years on the night section!!!!!!!!!

Turned out the marshall saw a jeep that was a similair colour to the SV roll and blamed me :blink::huh:

W*nker! :lol:

Soon put him straight :lol::lol: (Lots and lots of friends and witness's B) )

People just need to get off the throttle, and accept that accidents happen.

I HATE speed restrictions at events as i personally believe that they, again, cause more problems than they solve.......BUT, if this is what takes, then so be it.....

I think we need to look back at events of old and how they got round the problem of noive or inexperienced drivers biting of more than they could chew.......

They used to have prologues, where the skill of the vehicle team was tested and then the start order was arranged from this....

This usaully meant that the top teams got a way from the inexperienced leaving the lower teams to do things at there pace..........

Of course accidents still happened, but thats motorsport :rolleyes:

I don't want to be wrapped in cotton wool and told to drive only on the dry bits!

I want to have some fun :D:P

So less rules and less punches,

There getting boring and very difficult to marshal, thus leading to accidents as we have seen........

More super sections........with punches, equals more control and less incidents......

I hope :rolleyes:

Jim :P

Ps: Helmets are great :ph34r:

Just check the blue book i am dead sure it is more than 2 " .

Sorry mate your wrong, blue book says;

top of cage min. of 50mm above top of helmet,

Side of cage min. of 200mm from center line of body

Section Q(safety criteria) drawing No. Q31.

Well said that man!(jim that is)

I've got a msa approved helmet (with this years sticker on it no less) that only cost me £45.

And to continue jims ravings post :D

What a s**t idea, it wouldn't stop people from rolling. just penalise people that are having a bad enough day.

I personally would like to see an event comprised soley of special stages, each one having a DNF time, but to add a little more thought into it there should 5 or so punches on each stage that are worth negative time.

eg. you complete the section in 22mins and in that time you've also collected 2 punches each worth -5 mins

a time of 12 mins is then entered on your score sheet.

The team with the lowest time wins.

This would be a lot easier to marshal !

But then again the organisers would only go an ban portals.

Mini that must have been a freak incident there are always going to be situations where a helmet doesnt help.

Unfortunately it's not, I know a few people who have suffered neck injuries due to crash helmets, ranging from the serious of death to riplash, the neck isn't designed for a kilo to two kilo's being strapped to your head. This is why night pilots with Night Vision Google's are required to remove their NVG, store them securely, and then eject from an aircraft, as they snap their neck or at best very severe riplash during ejection otherwise :(

Unfortunately it's not, I know a few people who have suffered neck injuries due to crash helmets, ranging from the serious of death to riplash, the neck isn't designed for a kilo to two kilo's being strapped to your head. This is why night pilots with Night Vision Google's are required to remove their NVG, store them securely, and then eject from an aircraft, as they snap their neck or at best very severe riplash during ejection otherwise :(

Mini

I am not talking about high "G" loads here i thought we were on a landrover forum!!! Lets just agree to disagree.

Is it grapes or chocs you like mate <_<

Dirty

Is that not for saloon cars mate?

Anyway wouldnt it make more sense then?

Think jim has been the pub :ph34r::ph34r:

There's nothing that superseeds it in section H,

I wouldn't get too worried, it is a minimum requirement, nothing to stop you making the cage bigger.

How small must your cab be for a helmet not to fit inside the cage.

(hang on I'm only 5'9") now I can see why there would be a issue

I race with helmet at first yes they can be a pain but your neck will adapt so much so that's I got rear ended by a omega on the M3 and got concusion but no whiplash work that out casualty had issues with it also.

Trouble is I find you can feel indestructible with a cage and harness and Helmet on which could lead to more rolls etc.

But Jim and Northenchris I am in agreement with full.

(but I have not competed in the top level challenges yet but have in the top level comp safari)

The cost of preparing for new helmets and harnesses is going to be minimal only £350 for two helmets and a two sets of harnesses.

Does anyone know if 2" harnesses have been band yet for 3" ones..

The Fire suit thing.....

The BORC overall British champion races in old overalls

I only wear cheep karting ones for ease there is absolutely no reason for anyone to worry about that being imposed..

you can always wear a neck-brace below your helmet, although they do restict head movement when you could do with out being restricted....

Go the whole hog, get a HANS device.

It will restrict your movement though and you should use the proper harnesses.

I tested a copy of that thing in race condition

Its comfortable as when in a straight line but going round a corner forget it..... :o

and getting in and out is a nightmare..

My mate was marketing them and said its well cheep its only £400 where as the Hans it is about £1700 ish

that will go down well :lol:

As you say great for racing and works in high speed crashes, but not too good for a challenge event winch bitch.

Could be fun to watch though and will reduce the number of punches done.

The winch bitch could get round it though by not riding in the vehicle and running everywhere with it, could produce some Olympic athletes that way.

As you say great for racing and works in high speed crashes, but not too good for a challenge event winch bitch.

Could be fun to watch though and will reduce the number of punches done.

The winch bitch could get round it though by not riding in the vehicle and running everywhere with it, could produce some Olympic athletes that way.

MM

My bitch could do with the exercise.... (good job the wife's not on the forum)

my other winch bitch is too short I would end up runing him over :lol::lol:

my other winch bitch is too short I would end up runing him over :lol::lol:

Come on Jules ! You could make life significantly safer for him then - Get him to wear a helmet to protect his head and stick a flag on the helmet to make him more visible :P

If buying a helmet it is prudent to check it is Ok and to MSA regs Snell 2000 or better or SFI 31.1 31.2. or relevant BS.

We get a lot of motorcycle helmets sold as suitable for racing but not to Blue Book standard.

Check the Blue Book before buying, you won't get past scrutineering if its not right.