Legality re: inward facing benches

I am pondering ways of increasing seating and like idea of inward facing seats in rear of my 90 hardtop so I do keep some stowage space. Have looked at seats and also benches and come to conclusion that benches probably give better use of space even if not quite as comfortable as fold away seats - I don't see them being used as seats very often.

The idea is to give me option to carry more than one passenger if ever needed (mostly I suspect with local 4x4 Response group)

It struck me it would be worth asking if there are any safety/legal issues with installing bench seats in the back since I have no idea - presumably I would need to notify my insurers. So far as I can see one would also install lap belts.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated

Thanks

Malc

I think you will find that it comes down to the age of the vehicle you are putting them into.

As far as seat belts, for older vehicles you dont legally need them as they were classed as occasional seats by the fact that they fold away. I think this loop hole was closed (my old ex mil 90's and 110's never had rear seat belts yet my 1996 XD Wolf does).

Bench seats are ultimately a compromise, and offer greater risk to passengers in the event of an accident than forward facing seats, hence why they are now outlawed..... It has actually been proven that in most cases the occupant of a side facing bench seat fairs better in an accident without a lap belt fitted then they do with.... somthing to do with latteral forces and lap belts located at intnal organ sites....).

Ultimately it is down to you, forward facing fold away seats far safer..... but take up so much more room. You may not be abler to fit them if your vehicle is newer anway, but if you can you then have to decide what you list as a higher prioritiy, amount of use ect....

Are they going in your 200tdi 1991 90 as in your signiture?, if so, legally you can fit them without seat belts as occasional seats and still pass an MOT.

Yes but ask yourself do you want someone sat behind you, who is not restrained by a seatbelt? :ph34r:

Brookers

Of course - get in contact with the chap below - they will sort you out - feel free to mention me - Tim with the soft-top Defender they built for me

Charles Mogford

Berkshire land rover

Unit 3 Silco Drive

Maidenhead

Berkshire

SL6 1ET

01628 566247

http://www.berkshirelandrover.com/index.php

Hi, can you tell me what/where you got that seat please? Looks like a good compromise to me.

Cheers,

Jon