Transfer box filler plug stuck

Varsas

Hi all.

Ever since I bought it, my S3 has made a horrible graunching noise on over run, preventing me from driving it.

I thought the first thing I would do was check the oil level in the gearbox/transfer box and overdrive.

The gearbox and over drive were easy, but I can't get the filler plug off the transfer box. The plug seems to be a different size to the gearbox one. I have two questions...

Is there a special tool/socket end I need to remove the plug? (I did try an adjustable on it but it felt like it was going to round the plug off)

If I can't get it off can I just empty what's in there and re-fill from the top, just putting in the correct amount (2.5 litres) assuming, of course, that I can get the sump plug off...

Cheers...

Is it the type that's a raised square?

I had to hammer a slightly undersized socket on mine after the spanner method failed miserably. The socket got it off okay, getting it out of the socket took some hammering though!

For the drain plug (weird slotted thing) I wedged a spanner in the slot and turned that with some grips. Bit heath-robinson, but it worked!

• 3 weeks later...

For the slotted drain plug on the transfer case I used the large flat screwdriver fitting from my impact driver and turned it with a torque wrench. That can work quite well but it is easy to chew out the inside of the plug if you're not careful.

For the raised square it should be 1/2" across so use an open ended spanner or you can put on a 1/2" drive socket upside down and then turn it with a large allen key from the other side. The bigger the allen key the more leverage you can get on it.