Tyre Weld Stuff

v8bertha

Chaps... a question for those with rubbery knowledge!

I was having a conversation with a mate of mine t'other day and he mentioned that he'd had a slow puncture and had put that Tyre-Weld stuff in to cure the problem. A year later he's still running round on that same tyre and has had no problems with the tyre since.

I was under the impression that this stuff was a "get you home" fix and that it shouldn't be used as a permanent solution... But I don't know why I thought that! Does the goo cause any lasting damage to the tyre that means it should be replaced ASAP or is using this stuff as a permanent fix a viable option?

Cheers

Dan :)

i'm sure the instructions on the can say it is only a temporary repair. personally i wouldnt like to run around with a punctured tyre, without finding out what caused the puncture in the first place. it could just be waiting to let go at any time.

Presumably different products work in different ways but a lot of tubeless plant run with it in permanently so it can't damage the tyres.

The important thing is that any foreign object does not cause further damage and that no cords are damaged. It would be difficult to ensure neither were a problem without removing the tyre.

Oh crumbs... I hadn't thought of the whole liability issue, i.e. if the tyre is too badly damaged then Mr Insurance may take a dim view in the event of any claim.

But in the case of a slow puncture?

As well as plant machinery, I run tubeless on my mountain bike and have some goo in them that seals really well. But I guess the loadings, tyre construction etc etc are completely different.

If there is permanent repair stuff, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks for your input chaps :)

there are two types of tyre gunk - the stuff in a can that turns into some wierd foam type thing that is used as a tyre inflator / get you home emergency thing (i believe this comes as standard on some coupes that dont have room for a spare,

and then there is the green snot-like substance that can be poured in when you fit the tyre from new and coats the inside of the tyre and 'self seals' any small punctures. You usually see this stuff hawked on QVC etc

wouldnt touch either to be honest. I;d rather fit my spare tyre if i get a puncture and then get the leaky tyre repaired/replaced. I have heard that some tyre fitters wont deal with people who pour sealing gunk into their tyres due to the mess and hassle is creates.

I'm sure that urban myth about tyre fitters and the tyre seal was started by tyre fitters. :ph34r:

I've now seen a couple of real world tests on that gloop you put in at new and both gave glowing reviews. One test was from a bunch of girls who went round the round the world in a VW van. Now its very difficult to tell if you actually have had a puncture when you put this stuff in so the validation of the substance is tenuous at best. The only validation is that they never had a flat in a very long time and over a very long journey through all the normal crappy locations.

As for the legality of the substance i cannot say but it must be better than getting a puncture doing 60 on the motorway? If you don't know you have one and you carry on as normal then surely thats fine. I should also point out that some new cars now fit the get you home gloop in the spare wheel area and don't fit a spare wheel so if it were that terrible for the poor tyre fitters they surely wouldn't do that. Would they?

What I can say the ultraseal stuff is a perm repair and the bikers like it.

This is some of the stuff

Link to Green Slime.......

I've used the slime stuff in my mountain bike and wheelbarrow tyres for years, works great. When you pull a thorne from the tire and it instantly seals it's worth it's weight in gold, does make the wheels a bit heavier though.

As for the foam in a can stuff, an Aussie mate who used to go across the outback swore on the stuff. His favourite bit is you can re-seat a bead with it. My only experience was a stubborn mini moto tyre that had a puncher I couldn't find and had popped it's bead. 1/4 of a can of foam solved the issue, stayed up for a year. I took the tyre off to to see what it looked like inside, the foam was the consistansy of shaving cream, maybe a bit lighter.

If you have a puncture you should have the tyre removed from the rim and inspected asap as damge may have been caused to the casing . If you dont then you are effectively playing russian roulette. I speak from experience as tyre dealer , in Australia ( a very harsh environment for tyres). The idea of putting a sealant in from new is for plant etc, which have tyre inspections at very regular intervals so penetrations of the casings get discovered , also they are usually only operating at moderate speeds . From the point of view of tyre fitters, they dont like sealants because they have to clean all the carp out in order to inspect properly and make a good quality permanent repair. HTSH

the stuff you are thinking of is called ULTRASEAL, it can be pink or blue, it works realy well, i ran this in my bikes, cars, caravan, trailers, and now run it in my 90 on 33" 12.50s, its never upset the ballance of the wheels, even at 150mph on my streetfighter,

i've sold loads to harley riders who have all travelled around europe and come back year after year to buy more for when they replace tyres,

the carp most tyre fitters detest is the spray can stuff, its runny as hell and makes a right mess,

i'm not trying to sell you any as i'm no longer in the trade, but it works, i've spent years showing people it works,buy standing there stabbing a tyre with a bradaule, spinning the tyre and showing how it seals,

check it out on google, you may find it of use, a tractor weighing 10 tonnes and travelling at 45mph on the road is a fair test, and new tractors come with the stuff..

all the best,

Bow..