td5 starter problems

my defender td5 110has had starting probs recently, taking up to 10 or 15 key turns to start! she finally stopped starting altogether! i bought new starter motor, fitted it and still have same problem!!! it makes a click then nothing. have cleaned all contacts, still nothing, is it the dreaded ecs causing weird electrical probs? what can i do????

please help

Is it the starter solenoid clicking or the relay? You'll need someone to turn the ignition whilst you have a closer listen. Might just be the relay.

I have new solenoid contacts to fit to my starter as I sometimes have the same problems. Just waiting for the time/weather to get it done.

As above (M&S)

The starter solenoid contacts can get pretty badly worn and pitted over time.

The problem with simply cleaning them is that if they don't sit level, I.E. they're worn unevenly, the contact disc on the solenoid plunger only makes contact on one side and therefore fails to complete the circuit.

I replaced the full contact set on mine a while ago for the same reason.

Of course if it's only the relay that's clicking, you have a different (maybe simpler) problem.

Thanks for the reply, there are two noises, one coming from the left hand relay(yellow), and i can feel it doins something when i turn the key, a second and louder noise appears to come fro the starter motor (i guess the solenoid) it is a brand new part! the od one i took out this morning was making the same noise!! any ideas

As above (M&S)

The starter solenoid contacts can get pretty badly worn and pitted over time.

The problem with simply cleaning them is that if they don't sit level, I.E. they're worn unevenly, the contact disc on the solenoid plunger only makes contact on one side and therefore fails to complete the circuit.

I replaced the full contact set on mine a while ago for the same reason.

Of course if it's only the relay that's clicking, you have a different (maybe simpler) problem.

Is it the starter solenoid clicking or the relay? You'll need someone to turn the ignition whilst you have a closer listen. Might just be the relay.

I have new solenoid contacts to fit to my starter as I sometimes have the same problems. Just waiting for the time/weather to get it done.

Exactly what I had to do this morning when mine didn't want to know. Checked with jump lead between battery neg and the block which proved I had a dodgy earth. Cleaned up and works fine now but I'm going to have a rummage for some welding cable and make a new improved one.

Hi andy, you mean to attach earth directly from battery negative to the starter motor?? where exactly do i attach it to?? the thick wire attached by a bolt or the thin wire with the connector?? Do i leave everything attached as normal whilst doing this?

the fact that i can hear the starter motor reay clicking inside the cab and a clunky type of noise coming from the starter motor (solenoid) suggests to me that electrically it seems ok, im thinking perhaps its the ecu/ecs computer thingy, have noticed a bit of oil in the red plug under the seat, could that be it?

thanks for your help

Try putting an earth direct on to starter.

Andy

" ... where exactly do i attach it to?? the thick wire attached by a bolt or the thin wire with the connector?? ..."

Whatever you do DO NOT connect an earth wire to either of these two, the starter motor earth is normally connected via the engine block, there should be one already connected, you just need to be sure it's secure.

If you're getting a clunk noise from the starter motor area, it sounds like at least the solenoid is operating, you need to determine whether the starter itself is doing anything.

Do the lights dim at all when the starter is operated?

ok, done some investigations, lights do dim when i turn the key, i have put a jump lead between bat neg and casing of starter motor- no difference

still scratching my head, solenoid and starter motor are new, could it be the computer ???

any more ideas please

steve

hi id probably have to have a look . iv done a few of these at work with the same problem and one particular one had a blown ecu in the end up. the only way to check that is to change the ecu for another td5 one and try that but remeber youll have to program the injectors into the ecu first. hope this helps

If there is a clunk and the lights dim, that sounds like the starter is working (after a fashion,) this suggests that possibly the starter pinion is jamming in the ring gear, either that or the battery is really low.

A pain I know, but if the battery is OK, it might be worth removing the starter again and make sure everything is OK inside, was it a new one or recon/secondhand?

I would say it's not a problem with the ECU, that would prevent any kind of operation of the starter if it was immobilised, no clicks or clunks at all.