Moving seat back but not up.

ajh

I am curious what others have done to increase legroom (110 csw) buy without losing headroom.

What I am envisioning is a wide bracket that fastens where the seatbelt attachment points are and then cutting down the seam to allow the seat rails to be mounted about 2-3" furthur back.

I am curious what others have done to increase legroom (110 csw) buy without losing headroom.

What I am envisioning is a wide bracket that fastens where the seatbelt attachment points are and then cutting down the seam to allow the seat rails to be mounted about 2-3" furthur back.

have a look in the for sale part as i think there is a set of mud seat rails which allow the seat to go back futher with out cutting anything if there not for sale have a look at there web site (i dont know what it is) company name mud

have a look in the for sale part as i think there is a set of mud seat rails which allow the seat to go back futher with out cutting anything if there not for sale have a look at there web site (i dont know what it is) company name mud

www.mudstuff.co.uk

You seem to have mis-read. I don't have room to raise the seat at all, so I need to move it backwards without raising it. Also I need to make clearance so it can recline fully for those sleep-in-the-seat trips. So cutting is going to be required no matter what, what I'm curious about is how people cosmetically dealt with it, and how they kept things like the seat-belts attached to full-strength anchor points etc.

You'll need some of these then: http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Bulkhead_Removal_Bar.shtml

HTH

John

Not necessary. A 110 CSW has no bulkhead to remove.

While we know the Mud rails will allow the seat the move back further by lifting it over the seat box seem, the OP is asking about moving the seat back and trimming material away from the seem. This strikes me as a lot of work, not to mention removing the seem will remove a great deal of strength in that area, not to mention sealing from the outside.

JBS, are you really that tall? I know a few 6 plus footers that happily drive a 110 CSW with the Mud rails. Remember as you go backward, the seat box height reduces a little, also the headroom increases. This may not help with eye height :unsure:

The Mud rail is certainly a very easy solution to implement. (No affiliation BTW)

Also, not sure if LR seats can recline to the extent you mention My truck is a 90 and luckily I'm not tall :lol:

i think what most people do , and also something you can buy off shelf , is to raise the seat rails by 25mm using lengths of 25x25x2.5mm box so that the seat can then slide back a little farther and over the rib that sits behind the seat rails that usually gets in the way of moving the seat slider back farther .

i dont know if this is same for 110 as for 90 but depends on which model and derivative you have m ie 110/90 or csw type .

if you have a bulkhead behind the seats then this mod should be what you need, and if you have a CSW type ie county station wagon then there is no bulkhead so you should be able to slide seat back farther anyway .

i know what you mean about lack of legroom on landrovers , it seems to have got worse over the years , and what with the addition of the aircon and heater vents added , the room was squeezed up even more .

youd think theyd have known what a landrover is designed for by now wouldnt you, ie working people and those who work on or with the land or on and off the land or rescues and expeditions , ie people of good stature and physical size and stength with clothing and footware and equipment to match all weathers and terrains ha ha .

i can remember that my old 1973 2 door range rover had so much room inside, especially in the back seat where i could actually sleep if i wanted to , yet later models seemed to get even more and more cramped .

i guess everyone became a gymnastic convert over the years .

First seat mod I ever did to increase legroom before creating the MUD rails was to grind off the pressing in the seat frame that acts as the stop for the rearward travel. Slide the seat all the way forward and you'll see the pressing in the rails. Grind off the pressing and fill with a blob of weld. Once cleaned up the seat will now slide beyond the point where its used to come to a stop. Don't forget to add a spot of weld to the end of the seat frame to prevent the seat base from sliding all the way off!

Even with this mod you'll then run into the problem of the seat frame hitting the raised lip/seam behind the seat on the seatbox. Only solution here is to notch the seam or, I know it's not what you want to hear but raise the back of the seat. Hence the reason the MUD Rail was born!

After seven years of sales and literally thousands of sets of Rails sold, I can genuinely only ever recall a couple of instances of customers saying they thought the extra height made seeing out of the screen difficult. I' 6' 5" and have no problem with the raised seating position.

I had a simple 1" spacer added when using the stock seats, with the Exmoor Trim Elite's one thing they don't tell you is that instead of using better foam they make them thicker which messes everything up. (they really need to learn from Corbin)

What I may try though is a wedge shaped spacer that only raises things at the back and keeps the front low, this may be enough.

Rather than removing a section of the seem, when I fittted Recaro seats in my 110, I found that I could "slot" the seam, allowing the top sliding section section of the seat rail to move further back, seemed to work and was done in about 40 mins with a hacksaw!

Might not be much of :( contribution to the original debate. If you move the original seat back without raising a little. Would you not suffer from the seat box digging into the back of your legs. :( There is a slightly more expensive version from exmoor trim, that pitches the at angles. At present i am still using the Mud version. :rolleyes: But if I am waiting for a long time for my passenger I generally switch off and sit in the passenger seat instead.

Not necessary. A 110 CSW has no bulkhead to remove..

JBS, are you really that tall?

Nope I am not! lol I'm 5'6" tall on a good day I did'nt read the bit about it being a 110 CSW -Sorry about that!

John

The idea of a wedge is that the box is slanted as well so the amount of lost headroom diminishes as you go backwards.

As for the seatbox digging into legs, not with the 3" extra room I need, right now I'm rapidly developing tendinitis in my left knee to add to MT climbers elbow and crampon ankle (oddly all on my left side only) so getting my legs out past 90 degrees is pretty important.

I'll mock up something quickly that is a combo of slotting the rear and extending using angle steel to get things at least where I need then before fabbing up something more pretty.