TD5 wont bleed after filter change

R Bates

Evening all, I've done a diesel filter change on my td5 discovery (year 2000 model)today and now cant get it to bleed.

I filled the new filter with diesel before fitting to try to minimise the ammount of air in the system but now it wont start.

I've followed the bleed sequence of turn the ignition to position 2 pump the throttle pedal from idle to full 5 times within 10 seconds so the ecu does the bleed sequence then full throttle and try to start when the engine management light stops flashing but still no joy!

Ive also tried the ignition off for 15 seconds then on for 3 minutes repeated 6 times and still no joy.

i then thought it might be a dodgey filter so tryed refitting the old filter as it ran fine before but still it wont start.

Can anyone offer any help on what i can do to get it to bleed as i'm at a total loss as to what to try next!

I've only had the disco a few weeks and just before i bought it it had a new genuine diesel pump fitted 09/2010 (the previous owner provided the reciept) but it seems noisy,it whines constantly when driving, is it possible the new pump is faulty even though the engine runs great with plenty of power,well it did before i changed the filter!?

Any advice greatfully recieved

Rich

The recommended proceedure can take a few attempts,

Your in tank (lift pump) could be faulty and could be the reason for other issues,can you hear it running.

Ive tried it several times was trying for a couple of hours and still no joy

It's the intank pump that was replaced just before i got it, and its that pump that makes the whining noise.

Ive tried it several times was trying for a couple of hours and still no joy

It's the intank pump that was replaced just before i got it, and its that pump that makes the whining noise.

I would suggest that this is your problem, it really shouldnt be noisy, if it is it's in real trouble!!

Sorry missed your post! (baccardi)

Truly is a surprise if it's was a genuine L/R part but that could be the "sods law" effect, if the in-tank pump is noisy it's in trouble and might not pump with conviction.

I bought one from a well known internet department which was a genuine part except that it wasnt :-(

Take the filter off of its housing and turn the key, if a little/no fuel comes out from the filter housing then it will mean that the pump is probably knackered!

Could try giving it a little spray of easy start? See if that will get the engine running enough to get the diesel through to the injectors??

Noise from the fuel pump can be a bugger to diagnose - mine was noisy so I replaced the pump only to find out it was the filter letting air into the fuel system. Make up a section of fuel hose with a clear section of hose which you can clip onto the fuel system at various points, which will tell you of it is the pump, filter or hoses at fault. It will also tell you if the pump is priming at all.

just had the filter off again and turned the key and theres loads of fuel coming from the filter housing and the filter was full of diesel,checked the seals were ok and refitted ran through the bleed sequence half a dozen times and it still wont start!

The tank is half full of diesel so there's plenty in there.

The idea of placing a clear piece of tube in the fuel lines to see if there is air in the system sound good but all the fuel lines have proper plastic clips and i cant see how i can fit a piece of pipe in.

this is driving me mad now should be such a simple job and its nearly 24 hours since i started the filter change!

Hi Rich,

I'm new to the TD5 so am still finding my way around it, but is there a way of removing/slackening the fuel line as near the injectors as possible to see if the fuel is getting through? I'm thinking along the lines of some sort of blockage in the line.

Regards

Hi Bear

this is my first td5 so they are new to me too,i'm begining to think i should of stayed with my 300tdi 90!

Ive slackened off the pipe that goes into the drivers side rear of the head where the return fuel line also comes out and its got plenty of air free diesel there.

realy cant work this out now.

All I've ever done to prime mine is this (and I never fill teh filter with diesel to start with):

Turn ignition to pos 2, listen for pump to stop running.

Leave 30 seconds

Repeat 3 times.

That's it, job done.

Never pumped the throttle peddal.

How do you know it's a bleeding problem and not something else? Coincidences happen (especially with TD5's!)

Just throwing a different angle at it, it should be easy enough to bleed, if all you've done is change the filter. As I say, just a suggestion, it's easy to presume one thing but find another with these!

it lives!!!

Removed the return line on the head and switched the ignition on and just let the pump run a couple of times, repeated the bleeding cycle and it started!

I also now have a completely silent fuel pump as a bonus!?

I was starting to get worried and was thinking it could be something else but now i know what to try next time!

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Rich