300Tdi won't rev

Tetsu0san

A lift/primer pump is a lift/primer pump whether it's britpart vapormatic landrover etc etc it's a diaphram on a cam I use spurious parts on my tractors what's the difference

The difference is the sh*tpart one is sh*t and will break soon meaning you have to buy another, even with a 24 month warranty, if you kept claiming on it your car would off the road for 6 months of the year.

Buy a genuine land rover one 1st time and all should be tickity boo

jad

There are some parts that I always get from Land Rover - and a lift pump is certainly one of them .

It makes a huge difference to the 300 Tdi and often the decline in the old one is gradual - slight loss of power etc and its put down to mileage etc. Only when the new pump is fitted does the difference be noticed .

And non-original pumps can be troublesome in having problems with the connections etc as well as failing again fairly soon .

OK, an update.

Removed the sedimenter bowl and it has some carp in it, but nothing major. Then disconnected the pipe from the lift pump and blew. No blockage.

I decided to remove the lift pump and comapare it with the replacement and it was pretty obvious that the vaccum was not as strong on the original one. It also sounded like a chicken (not cluck cluck but a sort of cluuuuuuuuuuuck) which was odd. Funny part was I had been noticing this noise when I stopped the engine for quite a while, but put it down to a squeaky fan belt!

Once I was happy that the pipes were clear I put on the new lift pump primed the system. As the sedimenter was empty I expected it to take ages to get up to the fuel filter, but it took very little time. The old lift pump seemed to take ages to do this.

So in a nutshell I think it was just the lift pump. I have only taken it for a 10 minute drive but it seemed to pull a little better and the engine seemed a lot smoother too.

I am off out tomorrow to Avon Dassett to give it a good go and hopefuly I won't need a tow home!

Cheers for all your help though.

OK, things are not as I thought. Drove around all day yesterday and no issues. Drove to pick someone up today, no issues. Went to drive away and the problem started again.

It's not as bad as it was, but i think that is down to a better lift pump, but it is certainly not right. Going to look in the tank today to see if there is something floating around gettting in the way of the pickup.

I am gutted!

I had a good feel around inside the tank, which was not nice as it was vitually full having only been filled up a day or 2 before the problems. I found some quite large lumps of stuff that looked like rust in the bottom, but not sure where they came from as the tank is plastic?

So I removed what I could and then blew through the outgoing pipe from the tank and there was a lot of fluctuating resistance compared to the pipe that goes from the sedimentor to the lift pump. So I think that one of these larger bits must be stuck in the 90 degree bend just in front of the sedimenter. I suppose it is possible to blow the other way (back to the tank) but I would really need a compressor to do that, and I ain't got one.

Tried to undo the pipes from the sedimentor but they are stuck fast.

It's too dark to do anyting with it now so will have to wait until later this week.

It was carp in the pipe after all. Managed to flush the pipe from the tank to the sedimentor out with water and all is good again. With the stronger lift pump the car just feels a lot better too.

I also made a gause filter to fit inside the tank on the fuel pickup so that no more gunk will go back up the pipe. And then when the tank is empty I will flush it out and have a good look to see how much muck is in there.

Thanks for all your advise though :)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the ticking on the injector pump is back. Noticed it yesterday. There doesn't seem to be any obvious lack of power, but I am going to have another look at the fuel system and the sediment bowl and flush as much of the fuel system as much as possible.

What is the likelyhood of the injector pump having issues or maybe being on its way out?

IMHO it is *extremely* unlikely to be a fault with your injection pump.

Given that you've had problems with the fuel system (gunk in the line), I'd say it was the same problem again. Also, be aware that some lift pumps have a coarse strainer on the inlet - if this is blocked, it will also cause the same symptoms.

A blockage is that I am hoping for, but I didn't know about the course filter in the lift pump. I didn't see anything like that on it when I fitted it. Also, when it happened before I had too much fuel in the tank so I didn't flush the tank out. I am going to drain the tank and flush out the fuel lines later on this evening and see that happens.