TD5 Heating

Hello, everyone I'm after some help and advice. I have a 1999 TD5 which has an issue with the heating. The problem is when you become stationary you lose the heat which is blowing out? The temperature gauge was as shown in Photo6 and when I was motoring along it was pumping out some lovely heat but as soon as I ease off the gas it starts to go cold? When stationary I revved the engine and held it at about 4000 RPM and the heat started to come through again so I’m confused to what the issue is? Under the bonnet I have noticed the heater unit is leaking air out the side through a small crack so not sure if this has anything to do with it. Photo 5 attached. Can anyone help please?

post-26794-080572000 1289944110_thumb.jpg

post-26794-005841700 1289944118_thumb.jpg

Hello, everyone I'm after some help and advice. I have a 1999 TD5 which has an issue with the heating. The problem is when you become stationary you lose the heat which is blowing out? The temperature gauge was as shown in Photo6 and when I was motoring along it was pumping out some lovely heat but as soon as I ease off the gas it starts to go cold? When stationary I revved the engine and held it at about 4000 RPM and the heat started to come through again so I’m confused to what the issue is? Under the bonnet I have noticed the heater unit is leaking air out the side through a small crack so not sure if this has anything to do with it. Photo 5 attached. Can anyone help please?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

To be honest I think you've quite accuratly described the normal operation of a Landrover defender cabin heater.

The heater matrix is perticularly inefficent and relativly small, that combined with relativly large main radiator and it being a diesel that will tend to want to run cooler rather than hotter, all together create's a really tiddle poor cabin heater.

There are numerious topics on here of ways to try and improve it, I myself am trying to come up with an idea too... but unfortunatly the reality is Land rover under spece'd the cabin heater.

Mav

The problem I find is that at idle (ie. sitting in traffic) on a cold day, the heater matrix has more than enough cooling effect on the engine's coolant to actually cool the engine down. When driving along and up to temperature it's fine, I can have it on full speed, but if I stop for more than five minutes or so with the heater on full it starts to cool the engine down and the output temperature drops noticeably.

There's not really anything one can do about it, it's just that the engine is efficient enough that the heater alone can cool it sufficiently at idle RPMs. To be honest, I find that the half-speed setting can maintain a temperature once it's been achieved on full, although my 90 was a lot warmer a lot quicker when it was a truck cab due to the smaller cabin space. Going to rig up some kind of fume curtain behind the seats to keep the heat in.

Having said all that, a faulty thermostat could cause the engine to circulate the coolant through the radiator when it shouldn't be, therefore cooling it unnecessarily. This would then affect your heater's output.

Im running my td5 without the fan on atm, and its been fine in this weather, much improved heating and not a slight bit of overheating, even at 70 uphill on a motorway. It takes a lot longer for the engine to cool down at idle but it still does. Modern direct injection diesels output very little heat unless the turbo is singing away. My plan is to fit an electric heater matrix from a peugeot/citroen diesel and a coolant circulation pump from a merc to give the heater a bit of a boost on cold mornings, i think the heater matrix is so far away from its plumbed in connections that the engine water pump gives very little effort at circulating the engine heat

• 2 weeks later...

Im running my td5 without the fan on atm, and its been fine in this weather, much improved heating and not a slight bit of overheating, even at 70 uphill on a motorway. It takes a lot longer for the engine to cool down at idle but it still does. Modern direct injection diesels output very little heat unless the turbo is singing away. My plan is to fit an electric heater matrix from a peugeot/citroen diesel and a coolant circulation pump from a merc to give the heater a bit of a boost on cold mornings, i think the heater matrix is so far away from its plumbed in connections that the engine water pump gives very little effort at circulating the engine heat

Hmm well if you think that, try taking a hose off while the engine is running. I did trying to bleed the heater, I meant to just let whatver air was there plus a bit out, but it went everywhere.

Taking off the fan blades is very quick and simple though, and definitely helps warm up.

Nigel