defender biggest wheels

Interesting! I only speak from experience, which is somewhat lacking when it's only 1 car! I only had it with 265's and lift for a week before it was nicked.

The rub I had with 265's (75 profile, dakars) was right at the back of the tub. Front was fine.

I suppose extended bump stops is also a key consideration for tyre rub?

Hi I run BF's 33" 12.5 x 15 on standard suspension and dont rub the arches, I did need to adjust the stops though and the side of the Defender is covered in dirt. I have 35" sitting ready to go on but they will need a lift.

A lot will depend on the wheel offset.

Lazy springs wont help eather.

Regards

Frax ;)

i have 35/12.5/15 on 15x10 modulars (gives correct offset) with a 3 inch lift. i also have QT flexi arches fitted and have no issues what so ever, i did have the 35's fitted with the standard arches and would rub a bit on articulation.

i think fitting 35's without a lift is gonna be a problem..

this may interest you

shows with standard Defender arches

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/karting4/crawlers/

with QT arches

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d43/karting4/arches/

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anybody have any idea whether 285/75R16 on 16x8 modulars and NO spacers would protrude futher than the standard wheel arch? M.O.T. Time...

I know 285s a mate had on 7x16s were OK for MOT sticky outness. Yes I know that size tyres is technically too wide for a 7" rim, but ya know how it goes.

BUT - not all modulars, or 8 spokes for that matter are the same offset!

• 3 weeks later...

Got the tyres on friday from mail order after a desaster with another company taking my money but not sending me any wheels or tyres an not telling me about it. They are massive i still need to adjust the steering lock but im not sure if that will even stop it rubbing on the radius arms i need a lift now because it rubs on the rear arches when i go over speed bumps i also had to cut the corners off the rear arches to stop it rubbing when i went round corners so if anyone was wondering what tyres will fit on a standard defender you can get away with about 35" with only a very small amount of trimming until you can afford a lift kit so i have to just be a poser for a couple of weeks now

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hello!

Im looking for 35's too for next summers play! :)

Im a bit confused...what wheels are "correct" or "right ones" för an defender 110 -97 if you choose 35-12,5-15 tyre? Looking for wheels on Devon and 10x15 are -32 offset and 8x15 is +8.

Not quite sure whats right for me!

please advice! :)

cheers

jan

i have the 16x8 because the tyres are too wide for 16x7 but i think i should of got the deep dish 16x10 because my steering lock is pretty poor now so i may have to fit spacers in the future meaning it would of been cheaper to get the wider wheels but saying that the deep dish wheels will stick out of the arch abit

hello!

Im looking for 35's too for next summers play! :)

Im a bit confused...what wheels are "correct" or "right ones" för an defender 110 -97 if you choose 35-12,5-15 tyre? Looking for wheels on Devon and 10x15 are -32 offset and 8x15 is +8.

Not quite sure whats right for me!

please advice! :)

cheers

jan

i've got 35"s on my 110 with 15x10's.no rubbing or problems whatsoever.

post-16787-0-63123100-1298533468_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi

Can you tell me if the 35"s affected the gearing much?

I have a td5 1999 bags fo power but way low geared, i am planning a 2 inch lift and 35 but i do a fair bit of towning with it as well as was a little worried abou tthe gearing

Cheers

Why do you bother with such big tyres and wheels? Land Rover used 7.50s on Camel Trophy and the MoD continue to use them because they give the best off road as well as on road handling and performance. Big tyres reduce steering lock and axle articulation, increase steering loads, absorb more engine power, up the gearing and struggle with grip in mud and in wet or snowy road conditions - they're only useful on sand or deep virgin snow...

• Like 1

So, the British Army, Royal Marines and Camel Trophy are just car park runs? You see the big-tyred vehicles make huge mud rooster tails and getting stuck all the time while more moderately shod vehicles chug gently through the mud. Like I said, I can see the need in the desert or places like Iceland in the winter, but it seems to be of no benefit in the bulk of Europe. It seems to the done thing, but not by the pros. Look at the comp safari racers - they don't have enormous wheels...

If we want to count rivets then I'd point out that the SAS pink panthers had 900 x tyres which measured up as 35". Camel trophy was very different to what we get up to these days and was a marketing gimmick to sell standard cars that you could walk into a shop and buy. The MOD have their own reasons for sticking with standard truck size tyres. If you ever went to an event such as Transilvania trophy or Croatia trophy with 7.50 x 16 G90's you'd soon realise you wasted an awful lot of money on your entry fee if you'd intended to be competitive, same goes for most uk challenge events. And then there is the whole personal choice thing, some people just like the look of a Fender with big tyres! Steve

So, the British Army, Royal Marines and Camel Trophy are just car park runs? You see the big-tyred vehicles make huge mud rooster tails and getting stuck all the time while more moderately shod vehicles chug gently through the mud. Like I said, I can see the need in the desert or places like Iceland in the winter, but it seems to be of no benefit in the bulk of Europe. It seems to the done thing, but not by the pros. Look at the comp safari racers - they don't have enormous wheels...

the reason the comp safari boys use small tyres is due to the tyre list, the vast majority of tyres that are on the approved list are small sizes like 205/16 or 195/16,

i whole heartily agree with steve, once you have driven a vehicle with big tyres on it & found how much easier it cross's the terrain, you wont want to go back to small sizes,