wipers not parking on speeds 1 and 2

So my wipers wont park on speeds 1 and 2, but will park fine on intermittant. Doing a forum search it seems that this is the wiper motor park switch, correct? If so, can that part be replaced separately to the wiper motor? as £75 for a motor seems a bit steep if all i need is a switch. Couldnt find anything on paddocks.

Thanks

ash

some time back i posted a topic about intermitint not working and not parking when turning them off

ive changed the relay, park switch and tried a working switch from my td5 and still no joy but i lived with it.

wile refitting the ignition switch surround as its been off for a month now they started to work, wiggled the plug and it would work and not work. so i then chopped off the multy plug and put my own bullet connectors on and its all good

took the dash apart today, i dont know who designed that mess! anyway, took the park switch apart and one of the copper switches has been overly stressed and cracked. Again, another shockingly pathetic part. These are supposed to be "bombproof" cars. Was also shocked at how many different types of screw were used to hold the dash together, you would need a photographic memory to get them all back in the correct hole, i take merc dashes apart nearly every day and all you need is a torx 20. Its like someone has found the nearest screw lying around on the floor that fits.

anyways thought i might have been able to fix it, couldnt, so dash went back together awaiting arrival of the new switch, managed to find it on brookwells for less than a tenner. Anyone going overland this may be a part to put on the spares list, it wont stop your wipers working completely but it'll damn near ruin the whole trip!

Cheers All

Ash

That's because the wiper system (and in a way the entire dashboard) is essentially the same as the Series III's system, which was designed in the late 1960s. The post-2002 setups fare better due to a re-positioned wiper motor (less bend in the cable routing), but they're still pants compared to modern vehicles.

Even the 2007-on Defenders (Trans-fenders?) with the new dashboard still use the same wiper motor setup as the later Td5s (as above). It's the design of the bulkhead and windscreen that's limiting it, we won't see a change in that respect until the new vehicles come out in a few years.