"supercharging" your heater

41 minutes ago, GW8IZR said:

..Much simpler to just connect it to the correct two wires.

I wasn't keen on dragging another 6 amps that it wasn't designed for through elderly wiring and connectors plus no one has mentioned a fuse.

It's up to the individual but I want to reduce the risk of vehicle fire not increase it.

Having said that, a vehicle fire is guaranteed to warm the cab up ?

Mo

5 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

I wasn't keen on dragging another 6 amps that it wasn't designed for through elderly wiring and connectors plus no one has mentioned a fuse.

It's up to the individual but I want to reduce the risk of vehicle fire not increase it.

Having said that, a vehicle fire is guaranteed to warm the cab up ?

Mo

Yes I agree,  thats why I don't reckon connecting the blower in parallel with the original blower is a good move.

The wire and 'fast' ( relative term ) switch contact look substantial enough  to run the new fan in boost - mine hasnt arrived yet, I only ordered it yesterday but I suspect the original fan wont do much once its in place. Even though I ordered one I'm still undecided whether a more modern motor on the squirrel cage might be better. Once in bits I'll decide :-)

Just a quickie before I delve (as it means drilling out the winter cowl I made which covers the heater wing intake) - is the plastic duct simply held in by screws through the wingtop and snugged up against the heater box? I've had a poke and I can't see any other obvious fastenings.

just as Pete says,

2 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Just a quickie before I delve (as it means drilling out the winter cowl I made which covers the heater wing intake) - is the plastic duct simply held in by screws through the wingtop and snugged up against the heater box? I've had a poke and I can't see any other obvious fastenings.

as Pete's reply above :)

apparently my blower has been delivered today so I can have a look at the job this week.

I lifted the bonnet yesterday and then remembered where the washer bottle, second fuse box / relay panel, sundry other bits of nonsense I've fitted into the space next to the vent. It will take me an hour to get to the thing before I start fitting it :-)

Bugger bugger bugger - I just stripped out a load of bits and the heater intake and tried the fan - way too small. Checked the box - Attwood 4 inch inline bilge blower it says. Whats inside? A 3 inch. Called the vendor - apparently they've had 6 like this, across the whole of Europe. And I had to get one! So if you're ordering one - ask the vendor to open the box and check the contents are correct! No problem with them sending me another - should be here tomorrow, but so much for a quick job today!

Edited by Jocklandjohn

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

You have all the luck John ?

Mo

Aye! Groan.

Conversation with vendor was funny - "have you been selling a lot of these?" I ask.  Yes we have he said. So I told him what they were being used for and he laughed "I've got a Land Rover too - thats a good idea!".

Ha!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Bugger bugger bugger - I just stripped out a load of bits and the heater intake and tried the fan - way too small. Checked the box - Attwood 4 inch inline bilge blower it says. Whats inside? A 3 inch. Called the vendor - apparently they've had 6 like this, across the whole of Europe. And I had to get one! So if you're ordering one - ask the vendor to open the box and check the contents are correct! No problem with them sending me another - should be here tomorrow, but so much for a quick job today!

Snap, i got a westmarine turbo 3000, in an Attwood turbo 4000 box off of ebay. Contacted the seller on the Isle of man who were very helpful in sorting it out for correct part.

Little project for the weekend me thinks

3 hours ago, pete3000 said:

Snap, i got a westmarine turbo 3000, in an Attwood turbo 4000 box off of ebay. Contacted the seller on the Isle of man who were very helpful in sorting it out for correct part.

Little project for the weekend me thinks

Ha! The vendor on ebay has just emailed me to confirm the replacement one is on its way but added that, as I'd requested, he checked in the box before dispatch and ……discovered many more 3" ones in the 4" boxes! SO if anyone else has one sitting in a box and have not looked at it yet, better do so!

14 minutes ago, GW8IZR said:

I'm not sure if mine is the same vendor, I just clicked the link in @western Ralph's post above.

I just opened the box and fortunately mines a four incher ..... erm well you know what I mean :-)

Ooo er mister! 

Anyway the hiatus today allowed me to run some wires and a relay to power it: I'm not chancing the 28 year old wiring with that thing running on full chat. I fired up the 3" one across the battery terminals and it fairly whacks those blades around so is pulling a good healthy supply of current - and possibly not what I'd be wise to stick through the existing wires. WIth an additional switch off/on that gives 5 speeds anyway -

1) fan on low 

2) fan on high

3) Fan off and blower running

4) Fan on low and blower running

5) Fan on high and blower running

1 hour ago, Jocklandjohn said:

Ooo er mister! 

Anyway the hiatus today allowed me to run some wires and a relay to power it: I'm not chancing the 28 year old wiring with that thing running on full chat. I fired up the 3" one across the battery terminals and it fairly whacks those blades around so is pulling a good healthy supply of current - and possibly not what I'd be wise to stick through the existing wires.

I'll measure the current on the 4 inch one this weekend but the case on mine is marked 12 amps

I think I will re assess the wiring once I know what the current really is.

I just "found" this tread - this is what I did for heating.

2015-04-23%20%20Canadese%20Kachel%20%203

A seriously enlarged opening for the heater is needed

2015-04-23%20%20Canadese%20Kachel%20%208

New "box" made

2016-11-03%20%20Heater%20is%20a%20snug%2

As you can see - a nice fit in the passenger footwell.

Generates enough heat for the 110 Hard Top to be very, very warm in the Winter and taking it out in - 28 C last year showed the thing works. I have a Webasto engine/ coolant pre-heater that awaits fitting. The secondary battery powers it all and keeps the interior nice and warm at all times.

Obviously not a solution for everybody as it involves serious mods (as in : cutting ) to the bulkhead.

• Like 1

see that wouldn't work as the steering wheel is in the way ;-)

is the red convoluted hose poking out of the existing heater aperture direct to the screen demister vents? I reckon thats a good improvement over that big tin box as standard.

Those blowers are much better at delivering air than the axial fans we are all fitting

You'll be pleased to hear this works on either side.... :P

The red tube is not used for the heater - that is hidden inside the dash ass. and apart from bringing much more air to the windscreen I also created side demisters. Hidden inside the grab handles on either side. Those blowers are moving a serious amount of air.. And draw serious amounts of Amps, too... I never have the blower on full...

I people really want, I can try and do a write up of the build of this thing as it is not really standard. Started as a RHD Td5 HCPU and was collected in Ireland and is now a LHD 300 Tdi Hard Top in France...

17 minutes ago, Arjan said:

You'll be pleased to hear this works on either side.... :P

(snip)

I people really want, I can try and do a write up of the build of this thing as it is not really standard. Started as a RHD Td5 HCPU and was collected in Ireland and is now a LHD 300 Tdi Hard Top in France...

I always like build write ups, they are always good to read, countless things you pick up and think you can use or adapt... so yes please.

This was the hose I meant? wondering what it was for?

heater.JPG