That's not mist on them there hills.....

PaulN

My money is on an air leak in a fuel line.

If you get air into the injection lines, the contents then becomes compressible effectively retarding the timing (white smoke) until the air is cleared.

I'd run a line to/from the injection pump into a bottle of clean diesel in the engine bay then run to ensure all air is cleared, and eliminating the rest of the fuel system. Leave overnight and try starting in the morning.

You're not alone my friend.....Thanks for your clear instructions.

We'll attempt that test along with a cold compression test in about a week's time when both garage, me and car are all available.

Truck needs to be cold for both tests for proper process of elimination.

For my part I hope you are right as it's head off next and all that might reveal!! :o

• 4 months later...

Hi - I have the same problem, only mine seems much worse when the engine is on over-run (such as touching the accelerator when driving down a shallow hill) but like yours it only lasts for the first few minutes. It then won't happen again until the engine is properly cold and has been stood for a while.

Did you ever try the clear fuel-line test?

have you checked the diesel spill of pipes? If you are clutching at straws... unions to FIP, unions to injectors or main fuel line to FIP. sedimenter...

run it with a bootle straight to FIP as suggested then you will know if it is one side or other of the FIP. most likely you would see leak marks around injectors or pipes if it was there though.

best of luck

I had a very same problem clouds of white/blue smoke on startup, cleared after a bit of a run, turned out to be a stretched timing belt. Perious owner had fitted a carp timing kit and the cheap belt had stretched.

Repaced with OEM timing kit and problem has gone away

HTH

Dave