TD5 ABS errors

gadget

I think my Discovery is feeling lonely on the drive as it keeps coming up with things to keep me outside with it :huh:

The three amigos have visited and the errors i'm getting are:

16-06

rear left sensor output too low

INTERMITTENT

016 times

20-06

rear left sensor output intermittent

INTERMITTENT

020 times

I can clear the faults and drive maybe 500 yards and the amigos will be back again.

I've had a cursory look at the wiring and connector for that sensor and there's nothing obviously defective.

Sensor itself reads 998 Ohms.

There's no play in the wheel bearing.

Interestingly the outer pad and disc on the NSR leg seems to have considerably more wear than the OSR.

Is there a test procedure for an ABS sensor?

I may be shot down but if you pull the sensor out of the hole plug hole with somthing to stop debris dropping down and use a dremel or reamer to clean the top or the hole out blow debris out of hole remove plug and refit sensor if this doesn't do it I bet there is play in the bearing it only needs a tiny bit of play and the 3 amigos are usualy the first sign

The reason behind the dremel job working is rust stoping the sensor seating correctly

Independent lr mechanic that lives just on road from me told me he has cured 30 or 40 with this technique and now it is the first thing he tries if there is no noticable play he has had so much success

I may be shot down but if you pull the sensor out of the hole plug hole with somthing to stop debris dropping down and use a dremel or reamer to clean the top or the hole out blow debris out of hole remove plug and refit sensor if this doesn't do it I bet there is play in the bearing it only needs a tiny bit of play and the 3 amigos are usualy the first sign

The reason behind the dremel job working is rust stoping the sensor seating correctly

Independent lr mechanic that lives just on road from me told me he has cured 30 or 40 with this technique and now it is the first thing he tries if there is no noticable play he has had so much success

I've just jacked up the car again and swung on the wheel some more. I can't feel any play at all and the rotation is as smooth as the other side so i'm still of the mind the the bearing isn't shat just yet.

Cleaning the seat of the sensor doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Do you know if the sensor is accessible if you only remove the calliper or does the calliper bracket need to come off too?

Can't be sure if caliper needs to come off or not as it was a long time ago when I did mine but bearing was shot so mine did have to come off anyhow think you will manage with just wheel off just can't promise

When I had the wheel off earlier I couldn't get to the sensor at all.

It looked like some form of access could be gained by removing the calliper, but whether that is enough to do the necessary I don't know.

How many miles had your bearing covered before it shat?

• 2 weeks later...

And they're back, but then they aren't :blink:

The 30+ mile test drive on Friday showed no faults and the new sensor seemed to have solved the problem.

Drove approximately 1 mile today and the 3 bongs and the amigos came back.

Low sensor output was the error again. Cleared that and then drove home.

On the way home the 3 bongs and the amigos came back on, but when I tried to read the faults there was no fault recorded.

Amigos went away without clearing any fault.

PITA!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the routing path of the rear LH abs sensor wires?

It runs from the rear, crosses the chassis to the RH side and then runs along the chassis rail to the RH front wing.

Comes up inside the engine compartment, under the washer bottle and then joins a bundle that passes through the bulkhead behind the fusebox.

Then along the inside of the bulkhead to the ECU.

After all that buggering about it seems that the new AllMakes sensor I fitted has failed :(

Perhaps I should've bought Britpart :lol:

• 2 weeks later...