100" Coiler Light Weight

greenstream

Hi

Im putting a Light Weight body on to a RR chassis, but have realised that the body is a little short :o

As Im in Denmark, then I havent got the obtion of shortening the chassis, therefore Im now looking at different ways of solving this problem.

I have used the frontaxle-center in order to place bulkhead and then Im going to solve the rest from thereon.

One thing Im thinking of is to pull the cap apart about 9.5 cm. this way I can still use a Truck cap. Is going to blank the part between the door and the tub.

But Im still not there and are looking for ideas in ordre to make something that will look pretty as well as being usefull.

So hit me ! Ideas and photos - Please.

Cheers

Morten

Yes it has been done a very long time ago-about 10 or so years ago if memory serves me right the bloke who built it had to "stretch" the panels to make them fit to the length of the chassis-it was in LRO or similar

HTH

Yes it has been done a very long time ago-about 10 or so years ago if memory serves me right the bloke who built it had to "stretch" the panels to make them fit to the length of the chassis-it was in LRO or similar

HTH

Hi John

You wouldnt happen to know the colour of that car - silver perhaps ?

Morten

Hi Morten.

Why not just center the body on the chassis? A LWT doesn't really have much in front of the frontwheels, neither does it behind the rearwheels, so why not make it look a bit like something american? This will give you great approach angles in both ends. Something along the lines of what they have done to this Series One:

post-9137-022126200 1290759830_thumb.gif

Then if you use a Rangie/disco gearbox the stick should end up about the right place, and you will then gain a shorter throw in your gearstick, AND a gearbox that is easier and cheaper to find.

Just an idea

Møjn ;)

JBS - hmm ? Had a view on the LRM website on back issues and saw an article with a silver one, but couldnt tell if it was stretched.

Soren: Well that would be one way of doing it, just not sure about the MOT-mans view on this ? Im keeping thr front as per LW, stretching the doors about 10 cm. and then the rearcrossmember should leave enough room for the wheels - I hope. This leaves a hughe gab in front of the rearwheels, are thinking of makeing this smaller by makeing a panel covering the original and then some of the wheelarch. Have been playing with bodyparts and hughe pieces of cardboard today, makes it more visible.

Regarding engine/gearbox, then this is going to be 3.9 and autobox, so no issues regarding gearlever. And all of this is going to be moved 30 cm. backwards in ordre to fit it behind the LW.grille.

Like the look on the series one.

Cheers

Morten

Morten

Seeing as it's flat sided ,surely it would be easier to fabricate the rear body out of flat sheet and angle iron ;) .

That way you could you standard bulkhead ,wings ,seatbox and doors and then the "bit" behind the doors/infront of the rear wheels would be longer than a normal 88" lightweight :)

Cheers

Gary

Greenstream, It was one I saw ages ago in one of the mags-i thought it was LRO but could've been one of the others of the time-anyway the vehicle in question was a lightwieght on a R/R chassis and things like the A pillar panels had been fab'd to look like the originals and obviously the rear tub had been done to do the same, Looked very nicely done if i remember correctly