Arctic modifications

Fruit_uk

Does anyone have any experience of driving a freelander 1 2005 55 plate in Arctic Norway/Finland?

The things that I am most interested in are:

1. Is an engine block heater available (electric, plug in, all night type)?
  2. Best tyres?
  3. Using chains - manual says 15" 195 tyres only we have 16" and would rather not buy new wheels and tyres for one off trip if at all practical.

Have spoken to hotels in the areas we will be visiting and they say temp can be -50 without wind chill so pretty stern test of the vehicle I would imagine.

Cheers

My son works for a mining company and has spent last year in Finland above the arctic circle and regularly had minus 30C. He has also spent a couple of years working in Africa. I am sorry to say it but he says that you don't see LandRovers of any kind in either place nowadays, it's all Toyota Landcruisers and Hilux, the view is that they are more reliable and the parts are easier to obtain.

Interestingly in Finland, although he had a UK driving licence he had to go on a snow driving course before he could use the company vehicles or he wouldn't be insured, evidently all the locals have to do this as part of their driving test. They didn't use snow chains but by law had to have snow tyres after a certain date - it seems that most people have two sets of wheels and tyres to avoid the huge queues at garages at the changeover weekend

Also to consider would be your oils, coolants and any other fluids (neat washer fluids etc). I'd bet even 5W/30 is like treacle at those temepratures.

I'd get some proper rated snow tyres and leave the chains.

WD40 all of your door seals and locks, especially the rear glass.

Also to consider would be your oils, coolants and any other fluids (neat washer fluids etc). I'd bet even 5W/30 is like treacle at those temepratures.

I'd get some proper rated snow tyres and leave the chains.

We are getting winter tyres - this may be useful to some http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Bild-Winter-4x4-TyreTest.htm

and are hoping to remove the need for drastic oil changes by installing block heater and using heated garages where provided chains are only for deep snow where winter tyres may not be completely effective. Studded tyres considered but part of the journey through areas where not permitted Also winter tyres can continue to be used after trip and are actually pretty good to drive on if a little wear prone.

The block heater remains elusive however.

As for the Toyota, mmmmm well I have a freelander. It's a case of My Freelander ;o)

cheers for the input

A lot of later freebies (& discos, & RR's) have the webasto thermotop block heater as a factory option? Been quite a few posts about retro-fitting / nicking them for other vehicles recently if you search.

Agree though, you're probably best off with a Toyota in Finland, if you need 4x4 help I can recommend Offivaruste.

I wouldn't wd40 freezes too.

this weekend (-17 so i was told) my accelerator cable froze and wd40 made it worse. just had to want for the engine to warm the engine bay enough

A lot of later freebies (& discos, & RR's) have the webasto thermotop block heater as a factory option? Been quite a few posts about retro-fitting / nicking them for other vehicles recently if you search.

Agree though, you're probably best off with a Toyota in Finland, if you need 4x4 help I can recommend Offivaruste.

I understand the Webasto, runs on diesel? and is a pre-heater? I am lead to believe that the locals have an electric device that they run whenever they park up - all night in other words for us and it runs on 230V I don't know but these sound like different things. Also the hot frog thing I saw talks about running for 30mins to prewarm the engine we will nee 14 hours heating.

Sorry if I sound a bit vague here but I have spent lots of time trying to pin this down and can't seem to break the circle of suggestions for short duration heaters that people in the uk seem familiar with and the overnight type that they use in canada and scandanavia but noone knows anything about in the uk. Frustrating eh.

There must be someone who has lived in a snowy waste (Newcastle over the weekend doesn't count).

Cheers again

Kenlowe Hotstart is an electric-powered pre-heater I believe, very similar to what's fitted to a lot of scandinavian motors. The Webasto can be made to run all the time to keep the coolant at a certain temp - all the manuals etc. are available on the net for free - search Webasto & Eberspacher.

Kenlowe Hotstart is an electric-powered pre-heater I believe, very similar to what's fitted to a lot of scandinavian motors. The Webasto can be made to run all the time to keep the coolant at a certain temp - all the manuals etc. are available on the net for free - search Webasto & Eberspacher.

Thanks

My son works for a mining company and has spent last year in Finland above the arctic circle and regularly had minus 30C. He has also spent a couple of years working in Africa. I am sorry to say it but he says that you don't see LandRovers of any kind in either place nowadays, it's all Toyota Landcruisers and Hilux, the view is that they are more reliable and the parts are easier to obtain.

Don't know about Finland but I took this photo in Namibia a couple of weeks ago. OK lots of nissan/toyota double cabs but plenty of land rovers..

DSC_01482.jpg

Sorry, I was driving the middle one.

Does anyone have any experience of driving a freelander 1 2005 55 plate in Arctic Norway/Finland?

The things that I am most interested in are:

1. Is an engine block heater available (electric, plug in, all night type)?
  2. Best tyres?
  3. Using chains - manual says 15" 195 tyres only we have 16" and would rather not buy new wheels and tyres for one off trip if at all practical.

Have spoken to hotels in the areas we will be visiting and they say temp can be -50 without wind chill so pretty stern test of the vehicle I would imagine.

Cheers

In Lapland you can expect parking lots to be outfitted with electric outlets for block heaters.

You will indeed want to change the fluids for some that are suitable for the expected temperatures.

For winter tyres I have had good experiences with Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Michelin 4x4 Alpin both in 16" fitted to a 90"

Also don't drive without bringing proper extra clothes, cold weather sleeping bags, etc. for everyone in the car to stay in the car for a night if need be. Those temperatures are lethal if not paid proper respect.

In Lapland you can expect parking lots to be outfitted with electric outlets for block heaters.

You will indeed want to change the fluids for some that are suitable for the expected temperatures.

For winter tyres I have had good experiences with Nokian Hakkapeliitta and Michelin 4x4 Alpin both in 16" fitted to a 90"

Also don't drive up there without bringing proper extra clothes, cold weather sleeping bags, etc. for everyone in the car to stay in the car for a night if need be. Those temperatures are lethal if not paid proper respect.

Maybe you could buy something in Finland? It would be cheaper and just what you want?

I bet you it won't be cheaper - cars are very expensive over there. If you're there long-term then you'll probably end up paying one way or another but you can probably get away with UK plates for quite a while.

I bet you it won't be cheaper - cars are very expensive over there. If you're there long-term then you'll probably end up paying one way or another but you can probably get away with UK plates for quite a while.

We're only going for two week trip up to the far north, but don't want a wrecked car along the way ;o)

With reference to Landrovers in Africa my son has worked in the Sahara Desert in Mauritania and in Zambia. He is an exploration geologist and works in very remote areas often a couple of hours drive to the nearest road. Most people who go on safaris or rallies actually go on the roads (or what passes for roads) and not out in the bush. His view is that you will still see Landrovers around but they are the old ones (generally with virtually no electronics) and are rapidly being replaced by Toyota.