trimming the lawn

Ranger Pick Up

Has anyone had experience of using a tow behind mower for cutting a overgrown paddock? I would be using my RRC for the task.

It ought to be easy? However I thought to ask if any one else has done similar. Is the a flail mower available to buy or rent?

Is the type of have seen with its own engine for power the best choice?

Has anyone had experience of using a tow behind mower for cutting a overgrown paddock? I would be using my RRC for the task.

It ought to be easy? However I thought to ask if any one else has done similar. Is the a flail mower available to buy or rent?

Is the type of have seen with its own engine for power the best choice?

http://www.oaksmeadow.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=87&CAT_ID=88&numRecordPosition=1

I've done a lot of mowing in my time, and while I have not tried what you are suggesting, I have considered it. A few points which occur to me on the basis of my experience are:

- A finishing mower is not the same as a flail mower or topper. If you want to get rid of nettles, thistles etc then you need the right type of mower for the job.

- For a rough cutting mower, you need at least 15 HP for each metre of width, and more like twice that if you want to maintain a reasonable speed and chop things up rather than just knock them over.

- The visibility of an implement (particularly a small one) towed behind a LandRover is likely to be a problem, and you will find that you need to do several passes to ensure that everything is chopped.

- You need to be able to hear the mower, particularly if it is under powered, so you can adjust your forward speed accordingly.

- A LandRover is nothing like as maneuverable as even quite a large tractor. My compact tractor is even more maneuverable than my quad bike.

What you really need is one of

. My brother has one and they are the Dog's B**ks!

Nick.

- The visibility of an implement (particularly a small one) towed behind a LandRover is likely to be a problem, and you will find that you need to do several passes to ensure that everything is chopped.

Agreed - there's a reason that Landies are very popular with farmers, but not as tractors. A recent comic featured and article where they tried to plough using a modern Defender. Fine, except you can't see what you're doing!

What you really need is one of these. My brother has one and they are the Dog's B**ks!

The Swiss/Austrian farmers do have some very tasty toys to play with - try looking here also.