Vapour idea for a freelander

disco_al

i've had a vapour idea for a freelander :ph34r: it involves finding one with a knackered k series, and transplanting the vvc engine from an mgf/rover 218 gti into it. not sure on the standard freelander power levels in 1.8 form, but the vvc motor chucks out 143bhp standard which shoudl pep up the performance a bit, and a few tweeks could improve it even further.

so what do you reckon oh wise ones? worth a try, or has it been done?

dont see why not - both engines are based on the K series block. Freeby 1.8 uses a modified PG1 gearbox which is pretty much the same as the PG1 box found in rover cars, so you may get lucky and find the bellhousing stud pattern is the same as well.

Same engine, just a funky head. I've got a VVC inlet manifold on mine already :P and the head came off a Caterham.

Loads of into on Dave Andrews website www.dvapower.co.uk

Personally I'm more interested in the turbo version as fitted to the Rover 75 and new MGF or whatever MG call it these days. :ph34r:

Same engine, just a funky head. I've got a VVC inlet manifold on mine already :P and the head came off a Caterham.

Loads of into on Dave Andrews website www.dvapower.co.uk

Personally I'm more interested in the turbo version as fitted to the Rover 75 and new MGF or whatever MG call it these days. :ph34r:

i thought the turbo'd rovers were based on the honda D series engine and used a totally different gearbox? eg the mpi engine from the discovery istr?

For info, the later K-series units put out 135bhp (non-VVC) and 160bhp (VVC), and Lotus did a non-VVC engine with a very lairy cam and solid lifters to get 190bhp with 6000 mile rebuilds or so... I have the 135 in my MG, it's quite driveable but I'd be concerned about the poor low-end torque.