Rubberised paint for Smooth Roof

Frax

I saw something a while back about a company who sold rubberised paint for doing load liners with (or that is what it was designed for)

I want to paint my roof in a mat black and wondered if this stuff would be suitable, being rubberised and for load liners I presume it is real hard wearing and would be flexible.

Does anyone know what it is called or who the supplier is?

Just got hold of a smooth roof so at last I can get rid of the leaking siliconed up useless excuse for a sunroof, even sealed up it just condensates at this time of the year.

Regards

Frax

:blink:

Interesting idea! My cousin here in Bangalore showed me this paint a few days back. Nice rubberised feel. Should solve the roof problem.I have a 110 and now that you mention it, you must try it out. Will be great to do all the interior floor panels.

Hello Frax,

I've been looking at this stuff that stops condensation and is also over-paintable(is that a word?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Condensation-Mould-Fungus-Paint-Insulate-Wall-/300374250130?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item45efb35292

Also Speedliner

http://www.walkdengroup.co.uk/?section=Vans

Hope that helps.

Cheers Chris

I've been thinking about painting something rubber or bituminous onto our roof as it seems to get a few leaks here and there, i've used the bituminous stuff around the farm, and while it does dry and give a fantastic waterproof layer, it is a bit sticky, especially in heat.

if you're not too bothered about the look, what about a good few coats of something like hammerite/rust-oleum or similar? surely that'd do the same job?

That said though, i'd be very reluctant to paint anything at the moment unless you've got a heated garage or access to a spray booth as it'll either not stick properly or take forever to dry.

Bear in mind as well, that you can have the best, most waterproof paint in the world, it's the preparation which is the important bit, if you don't have a good, dry, grease free base to paint onto, it'll either still leak, or come off...

Why do you not think it would be sutible for a roof adam300Tdi90 ?

I just can't see the need to paint a land rover roof with rubberised paint. Do you stand on it all the time then or something? I wouldn't have thought that the roof would take someone stood on it without denting...

I thought he was talking about painting the inside..giving it that industrial look.

The roof on my 110 hardtop suffers quite badly from condensation so thats why i was thinking bout painting it.

Right gotcha... Will the rubber provide some insulation then? (to stop condensation?).

Yeah, this stuff says its got tiny air molecules within the paint which prevents condensation.

What it says on the tin really, will be tackling it after christmas so will let you know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-Condensation-Mould-Fungus-Paint-Insulate-Wall-/300374250130?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item45efb35292

Hopefully might even create a bit of sound insulation too.

Hi and thanks for the replies, the paint was for the outside and I do not stand on the roof.

I did not really want it to look like an old Cortina with a vinyl roof with a rough texture but did want a mat black finish and just thought this stuff would be good.

Even better if it was smooth though.

As for the roof dripping well I don’t know as yet as it has not been fitted yet, My old roof did suffer something terrible with condensation but I removed the headliner and glued on camping mats which did help a lot.

I was planning to do the same with this roof before fitting it, I did see that a lot of people seam to have leaking roofs which is I presume through the joints so just though the rubberised paint would seal the outside and be hard wearing and also jive me the colour I require.

Ye may be right though and I may just use the normal paint but Challo said it might be good stuff for the inside but at about £75 a pop is an expensive way of doing it.

Another thing I was going to look at for insulating the inside was armaflex which has really good insulating properties and also very good sound deadening properties and can be got by the roll. It might also be useful for other areas on the Defender, it has also got a very good temp rating but I need to look into the cost of this stuff.

Regards

Frax

<_<