General Grabber AT2 Studs...

Maverik

Hello,

I'm running General Grabber AT2's on my 90 at the moment and the performance is excellent in the snow, now for ice its sketchy but all tires skid, now I was debating on getting a set of chains for the truck for icey situations but then had a brainwave about fitting studs to the stud holes on my AT2's, has anyone done this before? or know what type of studs they take or where I could get studs from or anyone know someone who would know about tires and studs? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mav

Ok just found an extract on My link with proper references to legislation.

Extract

Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and they damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal.

I think, having read up on this, they are legal as long as they are not going to cause damage to the road surface, i.e. there is a significant covering of snow and ice.

The MOT Inspection Manual makes reference to studded tyres, so they must be legal in some shape or form, in fact every semi-authorititve page I have seen on the web suggests they are legal, as long as they don't cause damage.

I really can't see the justification for the month or so of snowy weather get a year, winter tyres would be a much better bet.

Well my commute is between 1 and 2 hrs at the moment, I haven't really had a problem with my tires as they are nice and new so still have quite a sharpe tread pattern, but what I've been seeing is increased use of snow plowing around here and the plows seem to glaze the road surface, I actually didn't encounter one black road this morning, I like to be prepared hence why studs are maybe a little more practical at the moment than having to whip snow chains out and fit them up in the middle of a blizzard, I was just weighing up the benefits (if any) of fitting a few lines of studs to the tires.

Couple of things to consider re studded tyres, 1/. if used on hard surface they wear quite quickly

2/. If used on a hard surface they detract from grip quite considerably (like wearing hobnail boots on marble floor, (dont ask me how I know :( )

If an incident occurred due to having them fitted then there might be other consequences

As mentioned by others if you are living where there is either considerable hard packed snow(ice) then you should still consider chains as a better option as fitting modern chains is a far better option than getting tyres studded, and then destudded .

I have used studded tyres on a large 4wd wrecker truck , but we had two sets of tyres , and studded tyres are not maintenance free, as you do lose studs during use esp if working hard . HTSH

Here in sweden studs is more the rule than the exception in winter.

For the TD5 Disco2 we studded BFG TracEdges and now for the missus P38 we have studded AT2s.

Studs are available here and i can send if anyone would like to try.

they are available in defferent diameters, lengths and weights.

For inserting into the hole a special machine is used. Like a pneumatic plunger with three spreading prongs that spread the hole so that the stud can fit.

We use 8mm diameter and around 10-14mm length.

I Drill with a 4,5mm drill bit with a piece of air holse as stop to get all holes the same depth.

if tires with predrilled holes are used the tire shops refuse to stud in these holes and drill new ones instead. i myself has had success so far with running the dril bit up and down the holes a few times to clean out debris before mounting the stud.

I can take som pictures later if wanted.

Tobias

I looked into getting some studs for the ST2 - common consensus is that they would work but no better than some chains / socks. However they are much more of a pain to fit. You can get press in studs which have to be used on brand new tyres and won't come out again, or screw in ones which can be removed but I personally don't know how many times they could be screwed in before the holes get chewed up.

Imagine having studs fitted and then halfway through a journey finding a clear road - fancy having to unscrew 80 studs per tyre?

I'd get some cheap chains (£50/pair on eBay) or some socks and use them if they are ever needed.

Have you seen These?

Have you seen These?

yes they look fantastic but they don't seem to do a 235 85 set and the sizing table neglects this size of tyre.

http://www.easygrip.fr/4x4/12-4x4.html

http://www.tyresonli...iewDoc&docId=27

what i can say is a brand new set of BFG AT KO are just super. Had them fitted on Tuesday and then the dump of snow happened. They've not seem tarmac yet :P. I've pulled out so many people and my wife was 1 of only 10 out of 500 to turn up to work today. they did send her home though, but i got to play in the snow on the way,

yes they look fantastic but they don't seem to do a 235 85 set and the sizing table neglects this size of tyre.

http://www.easygrip.fr/4x4/12-4x4.html

http://www.tyresonli...iewDoc&docId=27

what i can say is a brand new set of BFG AT KO are just super. Had them fitted on Tuesday and then the dump of snow happened. They've not seem tarmac yet :P. I've pulled out so many people and my wife was 1 of only 10 out of 500 to turn up to work today. they did send her home though, but i got to play in the snow on the way,

If you have new tires with an aggresive tread pattern then you're not going to go to far wrong on anything other than pure ice. I'm loving the shear ease that my truck it copeing with the snow, no fancy electronic traction control etc. Its great, you can feel what your wheels are doing and usually sort it out, and control the occasional 4 wheel drift around a corner in 2nd while the car in front is tiptoeing through the snow channels on the edge of slippy slidy.