Headlights, LHD & RHD and swapping

tweetyduck

do the MOD, army etc. have some special headlights that can be moved from LHD to RHD and back. I understand once upon a time there were some units that can be "flipped" by rotating the bulb. Is this true? i've been told you rotated the bulb 30 degrees and although there was no mention of land rover i have my fingers crossed.

In my time working on electrical design for MOD vehicles, I never came across a dual LHD/RHD lamp unit. There was a requirement though from our MOD customers for the changing of a headlight unit to be quick and easy (under 5 minutes and only basic on vehicle tools- eg screwdriver) for this reason, as well as changing due to damage.

I solved this problem on a series vehicle by having the orginal headlamps in rad panel for RHD and series 3 wing fronts with LHD headlamp fitted , at channel just switched from one to other .

With clear lens headlamps that have reflector focussing and glass lens type focus you can mask out part of beam that "kicks up" on kerb side of beam .