electric fan

90MAD

hi i was just wondering what every one else used and how you wires it all in, any info on parts used and some info on how you fitted it would be great

cheers in advance

i've got twin fans from a sierra cosworth.used a 30amp relay with a switch on the dash.mine's a V8 so you may need less for a diesel.best thing is have a measure up of your rad and then head off down the nearest scrappy and pull one out.

Ralph

Can use anything you like really that fits.

I use a single Kenlowe fan as they are designed for the job and I trust it not to short out with water a little more than a different solution. probably going to fit a second on the other side of the rad just as a back-up though before the summer.

Wiring is simple, if you want to save costs just put it on a relay and switch it manually with a toggle and don't forget, or you can get a thermostatic controller which will do it for you, but they are a little more expensive. I just do it manually, find that works better for me.

Adam

I have a Kenlowe on there, but I haven't used it in about 2 years. 200Tdis are so over-cooled for our climate that it's just not needed.

It's wired through a three-position switch that enables me to have it off, on via the thermostat, or override on. But as I said, it's been in the off position for a couple of years now :)

I have a Kenlowe on there, but I haven't used it in about 2 years. 200Tdis are so over-cooled for our climate that it's just not needed.

It's wired through a three-position switch that enables me to have it off, on via the thermostat, or override on. But as I said, it's been in the off position for a couple of years now :)

so would the steve parker kit be worth a buy or is that to over the top and just get a normal lecy fan and wire it myself with a relay and switch with just on and off and i would have it that i would just switch it on when needed

That's what I'd do if I were doing another one. Any electric fan that will fit (from the scrapyard or whatever) should do the job. Some wire, a relay, a fuse and a switch and you're away.

Simple is good :)

simple is good your right

Vauxhall Astra fan in alloy shroud fits right in to disco / 90 / 200 TDI rad - see pic. Tap top of thermostat housing - I think M22 x 1.5 - will check - dont have to drill - just tap as hole is correct size! Lots of switches available to suit.

post-13709-092787500 1291145840_thumb.jpg

hi i was just wondering what every one else used and how you wires it all in, any info on parts used and some info on how you fitted it would be great

cheers in advance

Most people use a Mondeo fan and housing. Apparently they fit very simply and the housing/cowl is a good approximate size.

I used one from a Peugeot 306 because it was free and available.

It too was a very easy fit and the housing/cowl was a good approximate size for the back of the radiator. The downside of the "Pug" fan is that it is a "blower", not a "sucker". I've fitted it behind the radiator and reversed the polarity so it runs backwards. It is still more than good enough for the job, as Retroanaconda has said, the 200Tdi is overcooled.

I have used a thermostatic switch from the same Peugeot and wired it through a relay with a simple override switch just in case. I forget what the switching temperatures were but they seemed to coincide well with my thermostat opening temperature. I got a threaded brass boss from my local radiator repair man, he had a bucketful of them and he gave me one for nothing. I soldered this into a piece of steel tube with the correct O.D. to fit into my bottom hose. Simply cut out a section of hose and insert the steel tube with a couple of hose clips. It works very well.

The only time the fan has ever come on is when I have had the engine running at a very fast idle whilst the vehicle is stationary. Even then the fan only comes on for a few seconds before going off again.

I haven't got any photo's of my setup but if you wanted some I could take a few and post them up for you.

HTH.

Mark.

I've just done this and used a single mondeo fan in original housing, x-fan controller, in line fuse and a relay.

A small piece of alu strip bolted and riveted at the bottom of the fan housing lets it sit in the brackets where the original fan cowling was.

The mondeo fan is a surprisingly good fit.

I'm going to add an overide and off switch to the cab when I get some more time.

David

I got all the parts for mine off ebay and a fan from a TVR. Works brilliantly.

i will have to get my bits and do it in the new year as my viscos just clears the steering box and what bits did you order i was just gonna wire it so i turn it on when needed with a inline fuse