Bolt on Portal box Project

Papa B

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished that axle testing, looking really good. They are definaltly strong enough, as with all thinkings testing took alot longer than first estimated. I tested in bending as well as torsion to assess the ability of the axle in cornering and side impact...

I wouldn't rule out belt or chain. Belt in particular could have a benefit in being the "fuse" to protect the rest of the drive train, and I can picture the design making the replacement of a belt a simple job in the field. I would bet there are some hella strong belts in industrial applications.

Mercedes A and B-class autos use a CVT gearbox utilising a steel belt. No slippage is allowed to occur as this will cause quick failure. It uses a fluid torque converter to transmit power, internal to this is a locking clutch that is allowed to slip to take up sudden increases in torque that could damage the Steel belt. There is also a planetary gearset to allow for reverse selection, this also allows for slip. The whole system works very well, is extremely smooth and can be programmable to offer infinite preset gear ratios. It has also proved itself to be very reliable too. I havnt any information on whether it can take the high torque conditions in a land rover though, and also due to its design, it prefers the transverse engine layout of a FWD car.

Just in case this may be of use... :P

• 1 year later...

Just finished that axle testing, looking really good. They are definaltly strong enough, as with all thinkings testing took alot longer than first estimated. I tested in bending as well as torsion to assess the ability of the axle in cornering and side impact...

And finally, after approx 2 years...?...?...