Alternator Questions.

ajh

Personally, and I post because others may be in the same state, I don't know what you mean by a "3-pole charging isolator". It may be because we don't speak the same English. That's an observation, not a criticism.

Can you find a picture from a retailing site? Even better a wiring diagram, so we can understand the functionality?

I haven't Googled for you, because I may not find the kit you are familiar with.

HTH

I believe the original alternator fitted to a 200TDi is a 45amp unit, these are not a problem unless you start doing a lot of winching when an upgrade to a 75amp is the preferred route.

I also have no idea what you mean by "3-pole charging isolator"

However, with 2 batteries it's best to have a heavy duty split charging relay wired into the system, with the alternator charging the "winch" battery up, and the "car" battery charged via the split charger.

A charge isolator takes the alternator output and then splits it between the two batteries so that when you discharge the accessory battery disconnected from the starter battery you can re-charge it without draining the starter battery. A 3-pole means that you have one connector for the alternator and one for each battery positive post. A 4-pole isolator has 4, the same 3 plus one for a voltage-sense wire, presumably because without a sense-wire the alternator does not know how much to supply to the battery.

I'll give it a try and keep a meter on things. I do hope it's at least 60A though, even just headlamps plus the stereo amp and computer will be pushing a 45. I wanted to save the AC location for an air-pump but it's looking like a 200A alternator/welding generator might be a better choice (a Xena one likely) since I could then attach that to the accessory battery and leave the stock one on the starter battery and have proper fault tolerance.

• 2 years later...

I have a 200tdi and standard wiering ....I have 6 x 55 spots plus the biggest sterio system poss running 3 huge amps ...I had a 120amp alternator built and that copes more than fine with what I'm doing.....Sub is 3000W I have four 6x9 1000W each and front componats are 350W each pluss DVD screens etc ITS LOUD VERY LOUD and is constantly on every time I drive ........alternator copes fine I just turn it off 1/2 mile from home.

I have two batteries fitted and I'm wondering what 'type' of Alternator is fitted to the 200TDI? Specifically does it have voltage sense cables or can I use a simple 3-pole charging isolator?

factory standard was a 45amp, but a 65amp can be fitted, mine has a 100amp marrelli alt fitted.