matt/satin /camo paint?

My 90's body is corroding, really fast.

As much as I love the colour that she is I'm going to have to paint her and soon.

I plan to do everything I can to slow the corrosion, like insulating between the steel and aluminium and treating all the bolts that I can with insulation but I know that she will still corrode.

So I want to paint her with something that I can keep touching up and not notice too much.

I was thinking that NATO green or sand in a matt or satin finish.

I have read that a matt finish is difficult to maintain?

Can a satin finish be patched up without showing much?

I would love to see some pictures of these colurs and some camo patterns as I plan to get this done the first of next year.

I will have a proffesional painter strip and spray the truck.

Any tips on primer and paint would be helpful also.

Thanks.

Totally matt paint hides a multitude of sins! It does however show scratch marks readily. Satin is a bit harder wearing but both will fade over time, I use NATO green from Warpaint which is 15% satin. Military paint is normally supplied in 5l tins which if spraying is enough to do several Land Rovers!! It does however fade in the sun and I respray my 101 every couple of years. You can get your own mixed in smaller quantities and specify the amount of matting agent you want.

It's also very forgiving if you fancy spraying it yourself and hand brush patching isn't a problem, the paints are still solvent based rather that water or 2 pack. If you haven't gone back to bare metal on the ally, use ordinary primer.

For BS colours, patterns etc, look for the 3 painting guides by Clive Elliot here - http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/forumdisplay.php?27-Clives-Corner....

Hi Mate,

Take a look at my girl, she is done in MV Paint in Satin.

http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/philpeacock/?action=view&current=landy013.jpg

Great paint to work with. I just put the paint on with a roller, came out well really. Not every landy owners way of doing things, but I just want my girl for shooting & beating so does the job well.

I spray painted mine matt NATO when I was going for the Walt/Wolf look on my 110 :unsure: worst mistake I have ever done-it fades, cannot be re-touched up (due to the fade) can't be cleaned because the matt surface holds dirt, looks carp 12 months down the line, scratches easily, nightmare basically. Managed to rub/flatten it down a bit and coat it in a few layers of beeswax to get a bit of shine and stop dirt clogging it so much but can't wait to sand it all off and re-spray it (white this time).

use Satin as a minimum, avoid matt IMHO.

Like I said, matt fades badly! Mines a show vehicle and I respray it every two years. I have heard of of yacht varnish being added to matt to help protect it and give a bit of a sheen.

Mate of mine went to the other extreme of using the two pack Trimite NATO green currently used by the MOD, very expensive but he has a bit of a fleet so he's not respraying all the time. Service vehicles come with a guarantee these days and the paint coat has to withstand in theatre cammo being applied and power washed off without degradation of the paint protection.

Like I said, matt fades badly! Mines a show vehicle and I respray it every two years. I have heard of of yacht varnish being added to matt to help protect it and give a bit of a sheen.

Mate of mine went to the other extreme of using the two pack Trimite NATO green currently used by the MOD, very expensive but he has a bit of a fleet so he's not respraying all the time. Service vehicles come with a guarantee these days and the paint coat has to withstand in theatre cammo being applied and power washed off without degradation of the paint protection.

I have used some from an mod batch of very old (1st gulf ware)light stone(sand) air drying paint brought from a chap off ebay @20ltrs for £15 it needs mixing with a drill paddle but is fine given its age.

It sticks like plop to a blanket and keeps its colour well and resists scratches ok given its not been baked on like a factory finish.

The bloke still sells it from time to time on ebay he must have bought up a shed load, I think a lot of the paints sold on ebay as bieng Nato green are matched civilian paints that are approximatly the same colour as those used by Nato but I dont think IMHO they are the same formulation and so dont give the same level of durability.

I think I heard tell that for a time the paint bieng used on military vehicles in theatre was water based polymer that would dry realy quick and could be high built with a brush/stick but wouldnt wash off in the rain or snow.

I will have a look at some of the tins I have got left and see who makes the stuff and a stock code if it helps.

I use it for everything from painting the shed to garden furniture its very good all round.

most MOD paints are two pack espicailly primers if its anthing like pussers grey itll last ages on ally but unless steels bits are prepped properly (shiney metal) and 2 coats of primer 2 undercoat 2 top rust will pop through in a couple of months