When will it tip

I don't know the figures, but a few years ago at Billing the Camel Trophy club put on a display, where they emptied the oils out of a 110, and then tipped it over slowly using a winch (one on each side, so that it went over slowly until it tipped). I was absolutely amazed at how far over it went - as a previous poster wrote I would have bottled at about 25% of what it actually managed. So the carefully considered answer is a very, very long way over!!!

landrovers were intially stated as being capable of 30degrees as a safe operating angle. it was then advertised as being possible if careful to turn one round on a 45 degree slope. that was for series vehicles which with the softtop and lack of dash and creature comforts probably have a lower centre of gravity.

i think 30degrees is probably a safe angle to operate at but remember to always drive cross slopes nice and slowly and never be tempted to steer upwards. and others have said, the driver will normally bottle it before the vehicle falls over.

Agree with you losing bottle first. Parking on a Hugh curb in a defender with big wheels on is exaggerated. Often you'll think a slope is not possible, get out and realise your literally just a bit of vertical centre. There's no official angle quoted as said but it's suggested to be between 35 / 45.

I have always heard that it is around 40-45 degrees. Here is the US, some Land Rover dealers have "tracks" used to demonstrate the capabilities of Land Rovers. I seem to recall the one at North Scottsdale shows a side angle of 40 degrees. The one time when I was on it at 40 degrees, one is looking nearly straight down or so it seems.

I would have thought that at extremes, the amount of stuff in and on the vehicle will make a big difference.

if the vehicle has a lot of stuff inside on top of the seat boxes, or a lot on the roof, that would have a decent effect on when it goes over surely?

I'm sure i read on Brownchurch's site that the angles for fully laden vehicles were a fair bit less....

i got stuck at a play day not so long ago in a ditch - slid into it - and my "O-carp-ometer" on the dash read 35deg.

I can honestly say i was terrified and positive it was about to fall over, when i finally climbed out to assist fixing the recovery rope on... it looked pretty lame.

Being inside is MUCH worse than being outside. I trial my 90 alot and dont mind sideslopes - but 35deg was horrible and i would have definitely bottled out if given the opportunity.

As mentioned above, terrain is important. You can be at 30-40 degrees quite happily on a test track, but drop a wheel in a hole or hit a hump at that angle and you could go over really easily.

Had mine at 27 degrees (Disco 2 - measure angles on photo, sad I know!) and that was about as far as I felt comfortable to be honest!

There is no one angle but, as has already been said, it's usually the driver that bottles before the truck rolls.

Suspension lifts, high mounted spare wheels, roll cages all typically reduce the angle the vehicle will cope with. The taller your vehicle stands and the higher up the weight the more prone it will be to falling over. Offset wheels with wider tyres can, on the other hand, reduce the centre of gravity and hence improve the side slope angle the vehicle can cope with.

The green bible for the Series quotes 45deg, the Defender they revised it to something like 35deg, I think mainly to discourage overly enthusiastic idiots from bouncing along at 44.9deg and then complaining when it tips over, as I can't see a Defender being that much worse than a Series.

But, as all the replies above state, in reality it entirely depends on what you're doing at the time.