Weird and VERY odd engine prob tonight - Ideas ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Yeah, cos your overheating problem took you no time at all diagnose and fix :P

:blush: you are quite correct :blush: Good luck Nige...hope it doesnt take as long as my problem to find :unsure:

Mind you ..... having just got a 3.9 RRC i'm sure i will have some "petrol" diagnostic fun to come :D:P

The MS sends the timing info to the EDIS using a SAW (Spark Angle Word) pulse. The length of the pulse derives the timing and can be in the range of 57.5 BTDC to 10 ATDC. TBH running your engine at 10ADTC would give rise to hot manifolds, but I feel it would need to be more retarded than 10 degrees.

I guess if it was lean & retarded then that would have the same result..............

If SAW is disconnected then the timing will default to 10BTDC ……. It should run quite happily on that, albeit a bit sluggish.

Here is the Blurb from the EDIS technical information,

Spark Angle Word Calculation

The algebraic formula for calculating the SAW pulsewidth is:

SAW Pulsewidth (usec) = 1536 - (25.6 x (desired spark advance in degrees))

Range: 64 - 1792us (57.5° BTDC to 10° ATDC)

Resolution: 4us (5/32nd of a degree)

Example:

You want 29 degrees of advance.

PW = 1536 - (25.6 * 29)

PW = 1536 - (742.4)

PW = 793.6

You would send a pulse that is 793.6 microseconds long to the EDIS module.

The EDIS module will do all the work of timing the spark, you just send the advance pulse.

The EDIS has an advance range of 57.4 degrees BTDC to 10 degrees ATDC. These correspond to the SAW widths of 64 and 1792 microseconds respectively.

Mr BBC is of course right here, I am only at the saying "Whats on MLV is OK", and MLV may be giving a read out very different to reality if the EDIS is giving flase outputs. I will check with a strobe light a phyisical Timing degrees at Tickover, and then rev and ensure that again on the strobe the advance is truly what it should be.

The only thing I am wondering is I have done a range of testing of ECUs recently, including some ones wounded by abuse / filling with water :lol: and I am wondering if I did shove MY MSQ in MY ECU and not someone elses, I have reloaded one of my old know good msqs and tonight see if I have just been a pratt :lol: ??

Nige

Can the trigger wheel become loose on the pulleys and move in the Slotted holes?

Good idea - Checked and its not, neither is the VR 'moved' / loose :(

I have had Mr Fridge and Top Secret Dave both say "Fuel Pressure" - which is a good call,

plus BBC saying Check timing on No 1 lead vs what MLV says (also brillinat advice) and

I have a spare ECU or 11 and spare EDIS or 25 to also check :rolleyes:

It could just be that as its a hugely stupid ennine and has huuuuge trumpets

that the fuels / atomizing is frezzing on entry in such cold weather ????

other than that I'm tomm going to do a Plug Chop plus all of the above.

As BOTH manifolds are a glowing its something basic, Fridge doesn't think its ECU based

Weird, just plain weird as annoying reducing the speed of power slides by as much as 30% :)

Nige

I couldnt agree more and no ECU in sight as well.

I bet your cambelt fails more often than my ECU ever will, and if it does I bet I can fix it quicker and more cheaply too.

Back on topic, I do reckon it's something more at the mechanical end of the spectrum like a dodgy fuel pressure reg, frozen water in the fuel filter or similar.

I once had a weird problem on a Ford V6, with dried mud in the atmos. side of the dizzy advance bulb. It used to jam the timing at random positions, so if you stalled the engine the timing stuck at max advance and it wouldn't restart... Why am I saying this? Well, I wondered if you might have ice in the manifold side of the fuel pressure regulator?

Most manifold ice problems cure themselves when you shut the engine off and drink a mug of tea. Restart and it's magically cured (heat soak)

Water in the fuel tank blocking a filter seems more likely. If the pumps sound normal, swap out all (you do have more than one right?) fuel filters and try again.

:huh: sorted :) - erm, well more bodged in a hurry really

Suz said today

"Could you take me to work in the Land Rover Love ?" :huh:

"Ooops" I thought "Erm, theres something wrong with it dearest" ...........................

"Well tghats bl**dy Wonderfull that is, you spent all your time on it and THE ONE, just the

[volume of word up big time on] ONE[/volume of word up big time off] day I need it ...blah blah

rant rant...squeal (that was me) rant rant blah tantrum etc...

"erm, Yes Dear" - So, into the workshop like an octopus on overdose of speed and uppers

Fuel Pressure- Fine

Edis swap and ECU swap - Fine :(

Air leaks - Nil

Fuel filter - Non

Right - Check the timing...........

There is a BIG drawnback with Magnecor Leads, erm, they don't allow a timing light to pick up

any signal, so binned that idea :(

Grrrr - Hmmm - VR Sensor and bracket ? Nope,... ah, hold on a min :)

The end sof the trigger wheel were all silvery and shiney :rolleyes: Hmmm

should be red rust, I think I must have at the last event (which I did give it some)

caught the trigger wheel on something and its ripped the adjuster round, my guess was

about 1 - 1.5 tetth :)

Dailled in 10 degrees in trim, Oooooo :) better 15 :) :) 17 :D that will do

"Its fixed luv :wub: "

"Her words of untold Joy and Delight towards me are not for a Kiddie safe forum, strangely

she didn't seem as chuffed and excited as I did

WHEN the white struff goes, will have to reset it properly, but one for the memory banks methinks

Nige

:huh: sorted :) - erm, well more bodged in a hurry really

Suz said today

"Could you take me to work in the Land Rover Love ?" :huh:

"Ooops" I thought "Erm, theres something wrong with it dearest" ...........................

"Well tghats bl**dy Wonderfull that is, you spent all your time on it and THE ONE, just the

[volume of word up big time on] ONE[/volume of word up big time off] day I need it ...blah blah

rant rant...squeal (that was me) rant rant blah tantrum etc...

"erm, Yes Dear" - So, into the workshop like an octopus on overdose of speed and uppers

Fuel Pressure- Fine

Edis swap and ECU swap - Fine :(

Air leaks - Nil

Fuel filter - Non

Right - Check the timing...........

There is a BIG drawnback with Magnecor Leads, erm, they don't allow a timing light to pick up

any signal, so binned that idea :(

Grrrr - Hmmm - VR Sensor and bracket ? Nope,... ah, hold on a min :)

The end sof the trigger wheel were all silvery and shiney :rolleyes: Hmmm

should be red rust, I think I must have at the last event (which I did give it some)

caught the trigger wheel on something and its ripped the adjuster round, my guess was

about 1 - 1.5 tetth :)

Dailled in 10 degrees in trim, Oooooo :) better 15 :) :) 17 :D that will do

"Its fixed luv :wub: "

"Her words of untold Joy and Delight towards me are not for a Kiddie safe forum, strangely

she didn't seem as chuffed and excited as I did

WHEN the white struff goes, will have to reset it properly, but one for the memory banks methinks

Nige

Hi Nige, Glad it is sorted - Phil and I told you the timing was retarded!

Glad you maanged to keep the other half on side too!

Regards, Diff.

Hi Nige, Glad it is sorted - Phil and I told you the timing was retarded!

Glad you maanged to keep the other half on side too!

Regards, Diff.

And for those that want to know why we know that ……………..

If the ‘bang’ is late (retarded timing) then the exhaust valve has begun to open and some of the flame front goes out the exhaust port ……….. this makes the exhaust manifolds a tad warm ………..its a bit like getting in there with a petrol fuelled blow torch.

In Nige’s case he has cast manifolds which take even more heat to warm up to red hot ………. normally this would mean the engine is hugely retarded, but he has a high overlap cam and this will make matters a lot worse.

99% of the time there will be no permanent damage ………….

So what you're really saying Nige, is that you brought it home broken last time out, and you failed to notice? ;)

Oh I knew, nursed it and prayed :lol:

It were cold out there, cruising it dropped temp, boot and the temps (oddly :P ) Jumped

Hadn't cleaned it off / used it since last event - that's where I must have done it, I thought the overheating

was a blocked rad which when I steamed the rad I assumed was all ok, then it got parked up for a week

At my age one forgets what was something a week ago :rofl:

Anyway, who are you, where am I - and where's me nurse

?

Nige