Bloody Land Rover!

Hi All,

Any clues to what is wrong with the Bloody thing now? I drove about 10 miles, stopped for twenty minutes then started up, but the glow plug light didnt go off?, got home as I didnt want to break down all that way from home. Turned it off and started just fine with glow plug light staying off, great? Went to put it in gear and the clutch pedal travels about an inch and then stops, rock hard, almost like there is something under the pedal? so cant get any gears, there is fluid in the clutch resevoir and when the engine is not turning I can select all gears(without clutch) I tried starting it in gear and it lurched forward as I would expect it to. Cant see any sign of leaks under the truck, althogh I havent looked to hard as we have 2 feet of snow, but would have thought the snow would have made it an easier spot?

Any clues or help very welcome as we need the truck going as its our only servicable car in this weather.

Forgot to say it is an 1987 90 with a disco 1 engine 200tdi with about 85k on the clock

Paul

Dont knowabout the glo plug light, but the clutch is fooked. it;ll be the clutch fork, having been punched thro where it pivots on the ball pin. All got to come out I'm afraid, might as well get the lot done, complete clutch, new release bearing, Re -inforced clutch fork and DONT FORGET a new spigot bush!, Good luck.

glowplug light staying on can only be a dying or dead timer relay, nothing else operates that light.

sounds like your clutch fork has busted as mentioned above.

thanks both,

Whilst im changing the relay then should i go for a disco one? will it make a difference?

Paul

I had a similar problem with the glow plug light on my 110 200tdi (disco conversion)

Where my friend had re routed some of the cableing, the cable had melted slightly and was shorting on the engine block.

When I replaced the cable in question, problem solved!

As for the clutch, I would concour with the esteemed gentlemen above.

also, whilst im at it will this item give me the ability to fully turn the key in the ignition and then at the pre-allotted time the engine turn over and start? 370461518959

right figured that number was a ebay item, so that one will be a straight replacement.

to operate --

unlock vehicle, get in driving seat, put ign key in & turn so you see

amber glowplug light

red battery charge light

red oil pressure light

red handbrake on light [if switch is fitted]

by the time your settled in & put seatbelt on, glowplug light will be out & then start engine, allow engine to idle for a few seconds & settle, then you can engage gear,release handbrake & drive off.

Cheers for that Ralph, the reason I asked was this is my first defender and I am in the position where I have been told to count to 15, some say split it into 8 and 7 seconds, cos the light never goes out whilst held on and never did in my mates trucks, maybe our trucks didnt have this timer relay fitted, hence the counting thing?

Paul

have you fitted the glowplug timer relay & associated wiring, I'm guessing Yes, also the thick brown/red trace wire needs to be seafely taped up & secured as it will still be live or disconnect from ignition switch & cover the ign switch terminal so it cannot short on anything else.

read the wiing section here for more Tdi glowplug system info

if not & your still on the old TD glowplug wiring, then you need to hold the key to make the glowplugs heat up for 10 to 15 seconds before starting.