OT you couldnt make this up!

This happened to us Saturday night.

posted it on the other side but thought you'd like to read it?

http://www.landroveraddict.com/ubbthreads/...ge=0#Post352365

typical of a rozza, pulls up with no road indication and then provides no indication to the driver behind that there was an issue, wonder what aptitude test proceedure they use at Police college as it seems to favour the idiots in this world

Did they actually pull over to the kerb, or just slow and stop? What if it had been a small child that you couldn't see crossing the road in front of the police car?

I slowed down to a stop the other day to let a car take a sharp left turn into a drive in front of me, and the idiot behind me crossed double white lines to oevrtake because he couldn't see the car in front of me, and assumed I stopped for no reason. The only differnece is I wasn't a Police car so I couldn't follow him to ask about his inconsiderate overtaking.

What if it had been a small child that you couldn't see crossing the road in front of the police car?

Then the police would have put the child in danger by making it think it was safe to cross, without thinking of other users

I slowed down to a stop the other day to let a car take a sharp left turn into a drive in front of me, and the idiot behind me crossed double white lines to oevrtake because he couldn't see the car in front of me, and assumed I stopped for no reason. The only differnece is I wasn't a Police car so I couldn't follow him to ask about his inconsiderate overtaking.

[blatant trolling]Of course, you were signalling right to show that you intended to move out, preventing the guy behind from passing?[/bt]

[blatant trolling]Of course, you were signalling right to show that you intended to move out, preventing the guy behind from passing?[/bt]

what, as in what is required to pass your test these days???? tut tut! :P

I was first on scene at a fatal TA the other day in similar circs - rover 800 waiting to turn right into junction, queue of traffic behind stationary. BMW X5 thinks it's simply slow moving, overtakes the queue at approximately 70mph, just as the rover is turning right.....

All involved seriously injured, passenger from X5 ejected (no seatbelt) and killed.

You've got to be super careful when passing another vehicle slow-moving or stationary - they can see much more than you can.

Mandy sounds like she met a couple of w****rs the other night...if they'd wanted her to wait, they should have demonstrated that fact.

Section 3 Road Traffic Act 1988 states that the offence of inconsiderate driving is complete when a vehicle is driven on a road without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road.

Of course I was signalling right.....to show that I intended to illegally cross a double white line like the idiot behind me did..??! <_<

If you can't see it's safe to overtake, no matter how inconsiderate or inconvenient the driver in front you is apparently being, you don't overtake.

If you can't see it's safe to overtake, no matter how inconsiderate or inconvenient the driver in front you is apparently being, you don't overtake.

so working on that basis, come upto a van at night not knowing whether parking lights have been left on or someone is sat in it, can't see around it, sit there all night???? it is also acceptable to pass on double whites under certain circumstances, however I do not have access to the HWC to state the full details, so someone else can do that

I must agree that there could have been someone/something in the road.

However as i said the Police van was half in the layby and half on the road we were travelling at approx 15 miles ph, they did not use any signal and made no attempt to stop us until we were several streets away.

Me and the kids were rubber necking the whole time to see what was going on.

Two occassions when you are entitled to cross a solid white line in the middle of the road ( I know coz it was one of my test quesitons all those years ago! :P )

1. To pass a STATIONARY obstruction.

2. To turn right.

So as Rocker says, if the obstruction is moving, however slowly (eg cyclist) you are comitting an offence (in theory) if you cross the white line to pass it.

Highway Code rule 108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.

Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

So if a milk float is travelling at 5mph, it's illegal but if it's a Transit van with 'motorway maintenance' in the back window, that's fine?

So if a milk float is travelling at 5mph, it's illegal but if it's a Transit van with 'motorway maintenance' in the back window, that's fine?

Correct. It's a common form of exasperation for drivers of emergency vehicles, who are subject to this rule just like other road users.

Cheers

C

I was first on scene at a fatal TA the other day in similar circs - rover 800 waiting to turn right into junction, queue of traffic behind stationary. BMW X5 thinks it's simply slow moving, overtakes the queue at approximately 70mph, just as the rover is turning right.....

All involved seriously injured, passenger from X5 ejected (no seatbelt) and killed.

And BMW drivers wonder why they have the reputation they do.... :(

From the UK Highway Code Rules www.highwaycode.gov.uk/10.htm]

107: Double white lines where the line nearest to you is broken. This means you may cross the lines to overtake if it is safe, provided you can complete the manoeuvre before reaching a solid white line on your side. White arrows on the road indicate when you need to get back onto your side of the road.

108: Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.

Laws RTA sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26 :i-m_so_happy:

Exactly the same thing happened to a friend of mine ... only it turned out to be a body in the road, they'd been the victim of a hit and run driver.

If in doubt, wait until you're sure what's happening.

Let me make this clear.

The road was empty, the Police van was half in a parking bay and half in the road thus providing us with a perfect view of what was in front of the said van, AND what( if anything) was coming towards us.

The area we were in was a large social housing estate.( and VERY well lit) it is common practice for Police to patrol the area at that time of night.

Michael is a very considerate driver who would NOT have driven around

the van if he was in any doubt that it was not safe to do so.

IMO the Police reacted in a strange way hence my post.