Time for new boots

Now I know this subject has been done to death and I have done a good search for previous recomendations and views.

I am looking to replace my rims with something similar but with a much improved tyre. I am not bothered for the original Boost alloy style and much prefer the steel white rim that is common to a lot of Defenders.

Current spec;

Current vehicle 1997 300tdi Defender 110 CSW.

5.5Jx16 (dated 2002) LR steels with 7.50 Rangemasters fitted.

Bearmach TuffBack dampers and HD springs all round.

I'm looking for a decent all round tyre. I do a little off roading, and about 5000 tarmac miles per year. I would keep the Rangemasters and 5.5J rims and I also have another set of steel rims with Continental tyres that I could use through the summer if better suited.

I would like to know if there are any problems that I have overlooked with the use of the following such as backspacing, body work clearance, tyre avaialbilty etc:

I am considering:

x4 6.5J 1 ton steel rims (Vass) to blast and powder coat

x4 General Grabber AT2's (If I can get hold of any)

The questions are:

Would the AT2 235/85/16 be best suited or should I be looking at an alternative size such as 255/85/16?

Will the 6.5J 1 tonne rim cause me any fitment problems?

Will I notice any difference over the Rangemasters?

If anyone has any 6.5J steels that they are looking to sell or maybe deal on 5.5J's please get in touch or even a set of AT2's.

Cheers guys.

no problem with your choice of wheel or tyre size, 235/85x16 are a good size for a Defender, 255's are a bit wider & larger diameter, I run 255 BFG MT's on XD/Wolf steels on my '89 110.

Thanks Ralph. I've just searched and I don't think the At2's are available in 255? The extra dia can only be a good thing as far as clearance goes?

Is it the rim design that permits the use of tubes or the tyre design, and should or shouldn't I run tubes?

Thanks Ralph. I've just searched and I don't think the At2's are available in 255? The extra dia can only be a good thing as far as clearance goes?

Is it the rim design that permits the use of tubes or the tyre design, and should or shouldn't I run tubes?

Yes the rim design dictates tubes or no tubes. the rims your thinking off need tubes IIRC, but the tyres will be tubeless type, not many tube fitted tyres around these days.

255 will give approx another 1 inch clearance under the diffs.

Yes the rim design dictates tubes or no tubes. the rims your thinking off need tubes IIRC, but the tyres will be tubeless type, not many tube fitted tyres around these days.

255 will give approx another 1 inch clearance under the diffs.

So potentially I may have an issue in that tubes may be required to seal the rims and the tyres I'm looking at may be too coarse on the internal surface for use with tubes?

Michelin Airstop are fairly robust tubes & will stand up to use inside tyres that have the ribs inside. your tyre suuplier should be able to advise/supply suitable tubes.

Thanks Ralph.

Any one in the West Yorkshire area tha can recommend a decent 4x4 tyre fitter?

General AT2's are pretty much unavailable. I've got a set of 265 75 16 Cooper ST's on the way from Craddocks which were a cancelled customer order. I belive they're getting a container load of tyres tomorrow (friday) so worth a call to see what they've got.

Ben

General AT2's are pretty much unavailable. I've got a set of 265 75 16 Cooper ST's on the way from Craddocks which were a cancelled customer order. I belive they're getting a container load of tyres tomorrow (friday) so worth a call to see what they've got.

Ben

Cheers, I'll drop them a line this morning.

Simmonites have some bfg all terains coming in this morning mark reckons they will be all gone today so if you are quick you might get some

General at2's are probably a month away for most suppliers

Also try Terry elsie Tyres in malton they are very good with 4x4 Tyres met afew guys when out playing Sunday and 4 out of 6 had had Tyres from there that week they shift a lot and prices are good usualy have some stock

Terry has a couple of 235/85/15 AT2's in stock and expecting more soon. He was the best value also at £90+ Vodka And Tonic. I have found another supplier who has plenty but I would end up payying delivery on top of £110 per tyre.

I enquired about the rims at VASS and they require tubes, so;

x4 tyres at £423 fitted and balanced, all in.

x4 Michelin Airstop tubes £30

x4 6.5J steel rims £134 inc delivery

Blast and powder coat the above rims £130

Total for a refurbed set of rims = £717 :o That's a lot of brass to keep it looking Defender like! I may have to consider a set of repro Boost alloys after all :rolleyes:

What kind of price would I expect to fetch for my v.good 5.5J's with Avon Rangemasters fitted?

I bought some BFG MT KM2's not too long ago, ideally I would like one set of AT's and one set of MT's but cant afford both. I was pleasantly surprised to find a) they are just as good on road and in the wet as my previous AT's, b) fantastic beyond hope off road, c) good in the snow, d) not as noisy as I had expected until you get up to about 60mph.

However, they are not so good on ice :unsure: and my MPG has gone down a bit (but then I have also gone up from 205/16 to 265/75 16).

despite that, I can't recommend them highly enough. dead chuffed with them.

I got my 6 tyres from ATS and got them to £127 fitted each. They are BFG AT KO 235 85 16.

Mytyres has them on for £118 so i thought £9 for fitting each and the ease of going to my local ATS was value. There's a deal to be done anywhere.

I bought some BFG MT KM2's not too long ago, ideally I would like one set of AT's and one set of MT's but cant afford both. I was pleasantly surprised to find a) they are just as good on road and in the wet as my previous AT's, b) fantastic beyond hope off road, c) good in the snow, d) not as noisy as I had expected until you get up to about 60mph.

However, they are not so good on ice :unsure: and my MPG has gone down a bit (but then I have also gone up from 205/16 to 265/75 16).

despite that, I can't recommend them highly enough. dead chuffed with them.

might I just say that if your truck originally came with 205's then you may ( prob will) have to change the speedo drive unit, as it will be innacurate in both MPH and Milage (odo/trip)

might I just say that if your truck originally came with 205's then you may ( prob will) have to change the speedo drive unit, as it will be innacurate in both MPH and Milage (odo/trip)

yep I know and done but thanks anyway! There was just under 10% difference before changing the part (which I didn't do despite many people on here telling me how easy it was - I bottled the job and gave it to my mechanic to do when the Landy was in for another job) :D