Biodiesel solidified? Solution?

Been putting Biodiesel in the 200tdi 110 for the last 6 months. Haven't used it for a while. Got it out in the snow a few days ago - started fine. Now it won't start. It is pretty darned cold down here today, so I'm guessing that the Bio has solidified.

Anyone know how I can sort this out?

The tank is probably about 90% full. I could add some diesel?

I have heard that adding some unleaded can be a good idea, but I might have dreamed it!

Could I take off the fuel filter and put some diesel in there?

All help very gratefully received!

Vulch

I'd chuck a couple of litres of unleaded in, worked for us in -20. May need to change the fuel filter though if it's full of ice as the lift pump may not be able to draw through it.

When you say ice, do you mean solidified biodiesel, or actual frozen water? I'm guessing biodiesel? Where would water come from?

Vulch

Is this biodiesel or straight veggie oil?

In either case, the problem will most likely be in the fuel tubing between the tank and the lift pump (that is most exposed). Can you disconnect at the lift pump and blow back through?

If veggie, just put as much diseel in as you can fit! Bio-diesel - can't help, not played with that!

Cheers

Peter

In a slightly warmer Pittsburgh!

Cheers

Peter

Is this biodiesel or straight veggie oil?

In either case, the problem will most likely be in the fuel tubing between the tank and the lift pump (that is most exposed). Can you disconnect at the lift pump and blow back through?

If veggie, just put as much diseel in as you can fit! Bio-diesel - can't help, not played with that!

Cheers

Peter

It's Biodiesel.

Thanks for all your help fellas!

So my plan is:

Top up the fuel tank with some unleaded - should be about 5L I reckon. I'll be careful not to overdo it though.

Take off the fuel filter and put straight diesel in that before refitting.

Hmmm. I might try to warm up the fuel pipe with a blow torch. Ok, perhaps not a blow torch or any naked flame for that matter - but some warm water could do it.

Once the Bio/unleaded mix is through to the engine, it should be ok....

Might also put the battery on charge overnight to maximise my chances!

Cheers,

Vulch

As I stated earlier, in my experience (admittedly with SVO) the biggest problem will be the pipe from the tank to the lift pump.

I increased the bore of mine by 50%. I run pure SVO, two tank system and it has worked OK, all the way through this weather.

Cheers

Peter

Right, sorted.

For anyone who searches this, here is how I did it:

1) take out the battery and charge it - I did this overnight and in a comparatively warm garage, which might have helped.

2) get some unleaded petrol. I had about 65 litres of Biodiesel in the tank. I added 2-3 litres of unleaded.

3) Replace the battery.

4) remove the fuel filter. I couldn't be bothered to go and get some diesel, and my only fuel container was still half full of unleaded, so....

5) balance the fuel filter in a suitable container - I used our blender.

a) Fill around the outside with hot water. Empty and refill after 5 mins as the water cools quite fast.

b) Don't switch it on.

c) Don't tell the wife.

6) Refit the fuel filter when the Biodiesel has warmed up - you will know when the biodiesel has warmed up as it will expand a bit, and ooze out through the holes in the top of the filter.

7) get some hot water and pour it over anything that may contain Biodiesel in the engine bay - lift pump, pipes to and from fuel filter, injector pipes, etc.

8) double warm the glow plugs.

9) give it a whirl.

Result.

You may not have to do all of these things, but I really wanted it to work, so did all I could to maximise my chances of success.

And I succeeded.

WOO HOO!

Thanks for all the advice!

Vulch

I've seen pictures of truck drivers with fires under their fuel tanks in very cold weather. I'm not keen on the idea of adding petrol to the diesel or SVO just in case it doesn't emulsify properly. Paraffin may be a better bet and can't damage your engine.

You put a fuel filter in your wifes blender !!!! Nice knowing you :lol:

In my "dirty" diesel days, i would drop down to about 30/70 veg in the middle of winter compared to 50/50 for the rest. Running various mitsubishi paj's.

G