Been offered a TD4 GS, being tempted to the dark side...

FridgeFreezer

As some of you will know, I'm the happy owner of a very well used '98 1.8 3-door freebie, which came to me for nothing but I had to put a new engine in it.

It's served me well for years now (and about 40k miles) with only the front wheels driven (VCU & prop were dead), but with the recent outbreak of snow WHITE TERROR my thoughts turned to reinstating all-wheel-drive, so I called up a mate who breaks Landies to see if he had the relevant bits (need a diff, prop, VCU, rear shafts). He didn't, 'cos they sell as soon as they arrive, but he then offered me a 2002 TD4 GS with an ABS fault for silly money (less than it would cost to fix my freebie up) so now I'm being rather tempted across to the dark side. And everyone loves a bargain :P

Unfortunately I know nuffink about the TD4 models (or GS spec), has anyone with a TD4 got any positive/negative experiences, things to watch out for, etc.? I don't even know what you get with a GS spec, how many MPG the thing might do, etc. etc.?

Also any ideas on why the ABS light stays on would be handy ;)

Having owned a 1.8 and driven a td4 a bit, the td4 is far better to drive - it actually has some low down torque...

My dad ran his td4 for 270k miles so longevity isn't an issue, although that was regularly serviced and did a lot of motorway miles. He then replaced it with another one...

He generally got ~33mpg over the course of the 6+ years or so he had it.

My BMW has basically the same engine in it, and it's great... particularly with a little ecu tweak.

GS is the middle spec I believe.

Post 2001 I think they changed the seating, such that the drivers seat was mounted higher - would certainly be worth sitting in it beforehand to check...

hth

Mark

One problem with the Td4 is that the heater is completely useless so in the current little bit of snow in the UK you may find some gloves are required unless the vehicle has the aux diesel fired heater - which is very effective.

I love my GS TD4. It was a bit of a leep of faith when I bought it, as I'd always had bigger Land Rovers before, but it's great.

The only real downside is a lack proper low down torque like a tdi. If you've come from a 1.8 petrol then I doubt that will be an issue though :)

The only significant problem I've had is failure of the quite expensive fuel pumps, which is not uncommon. It's also a bit of a minefield as they seemed to have changed the specs a few times in the early years of the TD4.

Fair enough - didn't know you had V8 experience too :)

Since my last post I'm loving my TD4 a little bit less, to be honest. It's split an air intake hose somewhere and so is wooshing and wheezing like a 70's vacuum cleaner :( A lack of time and daylight means I'm paying somebody to fix it too, which is a bit galling for something so simple. Still, at least I'll get some natty silicon hoses for my trouble :rolleyes:

Fair enough - didn't know you had V8 experience too :)

Indeed he does.

Its a almost rivet perfect classically restored 109 V8, suprisingly the "Purists" in the LR world

seem to have got their respective bees in their bonnets about some of the minor details in the otherwise near perfect,

nee faultless and some even say 'sympathetic' rebuild.

Obviously a new anorak will be required now :ph34r:

Freebie Squirted LS1 anyone ?

Nige