Pictures From Tonys Bash

V8CAMEL

Found the source of my interesting handling on the drive home; rear nearside bottom shock mount has gone for a burton :angry: Nut is still on the shock thread, but rubber bush & washer have gone meaning that it is flapping in the wind, and nut is unmoveable so if the garage can't shift it a new shock will be required.

Other 'damage' is relatively limited:

Two wheels have carp between the rim & bead and need taking off the rims & cleaning. Hardtop realigned easy enough, bumper will stay bent, as will the wing, roof dents knocked out easy enough, and need to buy a headlight bulb. Oh and my spare wheel carrier is now bent, but it has stopped rattling so I'm happy.

Not bad for a days work :D

What a fantastic weekend!

Great to meet a load of new forum members as well as catching up with some old friends.

I've just about got back into a normal state after two nights of sleep deprivation - free beer combined with sleeping on a side slope don't make for a good night's kip!

A big thanks to Lesage for the best sausage and bacon roll I've ever had in my life, and to JST for a cracking boil-in-the-bag which saved me from certain starvation after Will Warne and I forgot to bring any breakfast!

Thanks also to Turbocharger for biatching for me - his humorous moments just about made up for his less-humourous ones during the challenge!

The competition itself was fantastic - just the right level of punch difficulty, from ones you could drive right into and out of, to ones which needed winches and waffles and a stiff constitution. Will and I now have matching bent gearbox crossmembers, and I've got the odd dent and scratch... Very surprised to have come joint one-punch-from-winning as well!

Oh, and sorry to Les for making him wait while I reversed through a section I'd just driven, after I forgot to get the punch!

Biggest thanks of all must go to Tony and Val for having us all to stay, and for feeding and watering a bunch of smelly drunk people! I'm fairly confident that Val won the drunkest-person-in-the-world competition on Saturday night - I've never seen pole dancing like it!

As a forum we NEED to have more weekends like this - even if it's a campsite close to a site where we can organise a challenge.

Very sorry to hear of Darth's PTO failure, but best breakage-of-the-weekend has to go to Big Si for his rockslider incident....!

Dissapointed to have lost my digi camera before the weekend - if anyone managed to photograph either Will's or my truck, it'd be great if you could PM me with a full size copy....

Roll on the next one!

:D Yes many thanks to Tony and Val for their excellent hospitality and for inviting us in the first place .

Both Sarah and I enjoyed our first winch event.

Thanks also to team mates Les and Nigel for making it good fun. Will post pictures as soon as i get them developed. :)

Thnks again Billy.

Would like to add mine and Marks thanks to Tony and Val. Suberb day and the food Val laid on was out of this world.

We had a great day on the competion despite driving down through the night and only getting one hours sleep. Some funny moments between Mark and myself as we had never worked together before. Apperantly he never secures the equipent back on the vehicle Graham does it when they are working together. The out come was we lost most of mine the final tally was

3 waffles

1 strap

1 shovel

1 snatch block

1 flask

1 petrol can

1 tow pin.

Thanks Tony for finding the waffles

Other damages

1 plasma snapped

1 fusible link for the Kam CVs

1 damaged wing

Great to meet everybody and catch up with freinds old and new. If I didnt get round to saying hello to you sorry will try harder next time. Still loads of you I dont know visually.

Thanks again everybody

What a cracking weekend. Thanks Tony, Val and all the marshalls.

The event went better than expected considering the next to no preparation I'd done :D The only thing that didn't really behave was the rear winch, something funny was going on there which I'll have to get to the bottom of.... Si Drove superbly and TC and Jim did a great job of bi8ching.

Damage was a differant matter, though. I completely clobbered the gearbox x-member (completely beyond repair) and trashed the steering gaurd (I think I may be able to straighten it), bent the cage slightly (easy to sort), poped a tyre off the rim (I really must sort the bead lockers) and the gearbox started making some new noises (it got me home, though B) ). At least I'll be kept busy over the next few weeks.

And the party on Saturday night, what can I say. The food, beer and company was superb. Val must have slaved away for days!

The laning on Sunday was also very nice althought you couldn't call it non-scratchy ;)

If anyone's got any more photos I'd love to see them.

P.S. Tony, sorry I forgot to settle up with youy about the postage for the bushes

P.P.S. Any sign of the winch hatch? I can't believe that fitted through the floor :huh:

The laning on Sunday was also very nice althought you couldn't call it non-scratchy  ;)

Here are a couple of laning pics that Jon & DD took of our laning!

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Cheers much to everyone for a great weekend. Tony & Val great hosts and a top gathering. Rob & Fi for allowing Jenny and me to Monkey for them. Rob: the phone is still working after its waterproofing test. Although all my bank cards and cash I had in my wallet are also covered in mud. Been getting some odd looks in shops these last couple of days as bamton mud crops up at the sales desks. Cheers also to Chris for the expedition. :P

Jenny says hi to everyone and ta for making her feel so welcome. Roll on 7 sisters!

Dave I have the petrol can/Waffles

Will no sign of the rear hatch

after spending nearly 7hrs punch hunting I never saw any of the other missing items.

I did find Fi's diff cover(returned)

Thanks all for attending it makes the effort worth while

and Val wants to know who put the ducks in the compromising positions? :D

I didnt notice the ducks on the way out, but saying that i could hadley find my car it was that dark.

How was Vals head in the morning?

Tony did you notice that she escaped from you and came back outside? only to be dragged back by a apir of embaressed children.

If the nut won't come off after a good dose of WD40 and holding shock, try using a G-clamp on the shock. Tighten it up enough but not damaging shock and hold clamp whilst undoing nut. This worked for me.

Cheers

Steve

It ain't pretty but.....it worked, job done :D

Well here's the few pictures that I took.

Just to clarify a couple of points:-

My 'new girlie' ? I don't think so. Much too scary for me. so the picture of me 'looking happy' is actually 'me looking scared'

M005, I was very happy about stepping aside for you m8, as well as Scotty, Darthdicky?, anyone else?

Tony/Val. it was an excellent weekend and I enjoyed it very much. You both obviously worked hard to make it as much fun as it was. My first winch challenge and I would do it again, in spite of the aches/pains/hole in the palm of my hand. Thanks for the loan of a tent Tony, thanks for feeding me Fiona. Sorry everyone for turning up in a crappy Pug 309 :(

Here's the few pictures I took. The day was hard work, but very enjoyable. Anyone that hasn't tried this, then I reccomend you do at least once.

Here's the pics anyway.

A bit crowded at first, but it was interesting to see the different approach people took to get the punch - drive in and then figure out how to get back out again!

im000068-copy.jpg

Standing your truck on it's nose or tail seems to be the best way to get the punch.

IM000069-copy.jpg

'Cmon then, it's only a small river bank!

IM000070-copy.jpg

Just stopping for a smoke!

IM000071-copy.jpg

This was punch 49. A clever arrangement of two winch cables saw our team get this one first. Going almost vertical is a bit scary though.

IM000072-copy.jpg

Over the worst bit, although going down backwards must have been as bad.

IM000073-copy.jpg

Nice axle twister here, some punches looked easy, but quite often were absolute swines.

IM000074-copy.jpg

That's all the pictures I took. Lots of people asked about catflapII, and it was slightly embarrassing to be in a horrible Eurobox. Hopefully the next meet I go to will be in him.

Les.

Les 1 small bit of wood with a red end would of got that straw out the way quicker :ph34r:

As everyone else has said - a fantastic weekend so huge thanks to Tony and Val :)

Bampton was a brilliant venue and the weather made sure that even the easiest punches were a bit of a struggle! Did a load of things I wouldn't have otherwise tried and got to some punches I didn't think I'd ever get to, and coming 5th or 6th was brilliant. It was great to team up with James and very useful to have the use of his rear winch when needed!

Very impressed with my winch which was finally working, not cutting out at the slightest load and running beautifully at last. Pulled the front of the 90 round sideways in a stream bed as if it was under no load which was quite cool :D

Main thing I learnt is that I NEED power steering if I'm going to do this again - by 11 o'clock my arms were aching like mad, makes monkeying seem easy! :blink:

Somehow managed to escape bodywork damage other than a wingmirror glass and the scratches from sunday mornings lanes, and a rear prop UJ wore itself out on the way home (vibration gradually got worse but luckily it stayed together all the way home), but the main damage was destroying the PTO on a treestump about an hour from the end :(

Went through a hole with a stump in it on one of the smaller tracks which we'd gone the other way through earlier with no problems other than the diff scraping over, but it must have been dug out further by the time we came back through. Only went through in 1st low and heard the scrapes but nothing untoward so carried on. Next time we got stuck Jonathan got the cable out and told me to winch in and nothing happened. I told him to stop being stupid and engage it, he then told me to stop being stupid and engage it inside. Looked underneath thinking one of the keys might have come out of the shafts, and saw the chain lying on the floor in a puddle of oil and not much of the PTO left :(

I was just a little annoyed after that as every time I've used the winch I've broken it and I thought all that was finally behind me! <_<

Anyone got an LT230 drop PTO lying around? Condition unimportant really as I only need the casing and chain, everything else in mine has just been rebuilt!

If/when I get hold of another one the first thing I'll be doing is rotating it! Hadn't done it to this one as I thought it would be okay (only hangs down 10mm below the handbrake), and I need another bit of exhaust made up to fit it, along with bending the lever and maybe cutting a bit out of a transfer box mount so it had got pushed down the list of things to do. Really kicking myself for that now :lol: Oh well, it happens...

A few photos:

Land Rovers as far as you can see...

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

PS. Glad to see my picture of the sky came out right Steve! :lol:

I just thought the ducks were meant to be like that - or that you lived at No 69. :ph34r:

Thanks Tony & Val - for organising the challange, for organising the party and food, for letting us use your field as a campsite, and for finding my crappy diff guard and returning it. Oh and for Val having a worse hangover than me. :blink:

Thanks to Keef (Boat Buoy) for his patience and humour and for being nearly killed and sat on by Robhybrid.

And thanks to Les H for being polite about the food!

Who put the "Kebab" in my toilet, I had to do a double take! :huh: Same person who moved the ducks I wonder?