Track Rod - support?

Hi,

Had to change a propshaft UJ this morning (in the snow!) got that done eventually but while I was underneath I noticed that the track rod is rubbing hard on what looks like a support or protection guard for the track rod which is bolted on to the underside of the front diff and wraps around the track rod. This 'support' is a hefty bit of metal and the back of the track rod is rubbing on it - is this as it should be?

Dave

Part number QEU101060.

Can be removed but if it is rubbing then it means your bar is bent and the tracking could be out resulting in increased tyre wear. Also if the bar is tight against the bracket it could affect the steering.

Thanks Guys, yes that is definately the part the track rod ir rubbing on, I did slacken it to check if the bolt holes are slotted but they aren't. I'll take it off tomorrow and see what that does for the steering (which is a bit heavy at the moment) the tyres are ok and have been on for a while so I'm guessing ghe tracking may have been adjusted to allow for a bit of a bend in the track rod.

Thanks,

Dave

I had the same issue when I had bent my track rod off roading. replaced the track rod and the new one did not rub against the guard so yours may be bent. when it was rubbing you could feel it catch while steering so probably best to check your tracking as soon as possible.

Like this?

QEU101060-TRACK-ROD-PROTECTION-BRACKET.jpg

I had one on my 110 also, was rubbing on the rod (probably due to the rod being slightly bent or something) so I took it off.

Noticed that mine was broken into two, not sure if it broke during the engine swap. Anyhow not had a problem without it. Ralph is it very important or its ok with out this piece.

Noticed that mine was broken into two, not sure if it broke during the engine swap. Anyhow not had a problem without it. Ralph is it very important or its ok with out this piece.

It depends if you go off road or not. It's purpose is to help prevent the track rod getting bent completely out of shape if you catch it on the ground/rock/stump. Keep in mind that the track rod hangs lower than the main axle tube so is quite vulnerable.

The guard is not as effective as the full length aftermarket guards available, but it does serve a very useful purpose. It is there for a reason. It won't stop a very hard hit on the track rod from bending it a bit, but it can make the difference between the vehicle being driveable and not!

Regards, Diff.

Remove it & throw it away Prith, it's not important,

have you recieved the package yet ?