Land rover def 90 indicator problem plz help

HI Everyone

Been having problems again with my indicators.

Basically my indicator 10amp fuse keeps blowing, I have now isolated it to the left hand indicators, the fuse blows when I indicate left only but the problem is intermittent (there is no regular pattern - only when driving - not stationary).

I have replaced left hand side bulbs and lamp fightings, took the outer wing off and checked the wiring (wiggle test and visual inspection), also looked at wiring from bulkhead to back right (wiggle test) and nothing. Also changed trailer socket.

The strange thing is when it does blow the fuse and if you then switch the hazards on they work and don't blow their seperate fuse.

Has anyone else had this problem before?, I think it must be indicator stalk or hazard switch, as if it was the wiring to the bulbs then surely the hazard fuse would blow as well. The only thing I found which was strange was that if you disconnect earth fron front left indicator (and sidelight) it still works (grounding via screw holding the lamp in) - it is the same on the right so i assume is normal for land rovers.

Sorry for the long winded post just is now extremely annoying and can't take the old girl out anymore.

Thanks Andrew

The strange thing is when it does blow the fuse and if you then switch the hazards on they work and don't blow their seperate fuse.

I think it must be indicator stalk or hazard switch, as if it was the wiring to the bulbs then surely the hazard fuse would blow as well.

You are correct.

At this stage I would suspect the indicator stalk. You can test the hazard switch using a post I wrote here

The only thing I found which was strange was that if you disconnect earth fron front left indicator (and sidelight) it still works (grounding via screw holding the lamp in) - it is the same on the right so i assume is normal for land rovers.

Yes, it'll be earthing through the body. This doesn't mean its a good substitute for dedicated earth runs though. A very high percentage of wiring/electrical faults are down to poor earths.Landrover bodywork is not a good earth at all.