AWDC XL Challenge 2011

najw

Rob, I thought that due to the fact that you were driving it like you stole it that you broke a diff or two and did come last :)

(boring car journey and I could not resist the open door)

Love you Rob (Gaffa)

come on thought I was mid field :D

looks like some people were having a foot stamping handbags at dawn day whilst they were writing a certain club Magazine :ph34r:

i dnt think we will be able to enter any of next years events due to funding issues plus we have got lots of other events booked in for 2011 already although it would have been nice to do the odd local one or two and we all know what its like with every penny counting

Hi Neil, Mark and i really enjoyed 2009 and was hoping maybe there might be some consideration as to how the classes are structured....

i understand some challenge events work on a handicap system i.e 100points per punch if your truck is standard with 1 winch...90 points if you have a rear locker and front winch and so on...

reason being with the 3 classes as they are, there are such huge margins between the trucks... some running huge tyres others not.. etc etc and so on throughout the classes..it shows when your out there competing and working alongside each other.

i think that would even out the total championship points more and bring a closer competition rather than the top 3 of every class blowing the rest into touch...

just another idea to think about

Cheers

Will

We have undertaken an exercise to see what would happen if we replaced the class structure with a handicap system based on traction/recovery aids, portals, rear steer etc.

We applied this to all 4 of last years results and the outcome was practically the same apart from some minor midfield changes.

Having spoken to a number of competitors most were against the system and, as James says, felt it penalised vehicle development.

On this basis and the fact that it would extremely hard to police effectively we have decided to keep the existing class structure which has served us well for the last 6 years.

Having spoken to a number of competitors most were against the system and, as James says, felt it penalised vehicle development.

On this basis and the fact that it would extremely hard to police effectively we have decided to keep the existing class structure which has served us well for the last 6 years.

So you still believe that a formula one should be on the same grid as a touring car? The fact that Saley is in the same class as a challenge 90 shows that your regulations are fundamentaly flawed.

Daan

So you still believe that a formula one should be on the same grid as a touring car? The fact that Saley is in the same class as a challenge 90 shows that your regulations are fundamentaly flawed.

Daanyeah but in the le mans 24 hour race all classes run at the same time on the same track

Daan

I have no opinions on formula one cars, its not a subject that interests me.

What has Saley got that a 90 can't have?

Another year, same old faces, same old discussion ;)

Neil, I know you don't need anyone to tell you... but I just thought I'd add my 2p's worth anyway... Class system works great, allows competitors to develop their trucks (quite a bit) and personally I used to get great satisfaction out of competing in our class 3 truck and sometimes getting up near the top 4th or 5th place overall...

Well be back out next year in our new class 3 tubular trayback'd Jimny... in which we plan on giving the class 1/2 trucks a run for there money... :P

Well well, touched a nerve or what? Always interesting when I start a debate about regulations and actually mention facts, people go of course by saying things like:

-It worked in the past

-If you dont like it dont turn up

-There are still enough people turning up

-Have you ever done any events

-Have we met

My point is, using boothy and saley as an example, that boothys truck is class 3 with 35 inch tyres, where as saleys truck runs 40's, weighs halve of boothys and is class 2.

If people dont mind that, fair enough, but I dont think it is right myself.

On the plus side, the awdc is making an effort to put things in classes, rather than ban them, like many other organisers do at the moment. So why come up with rules that dont actually create a level playing field?

I do say this , that on 1 event, ladoga, I have witnessed for the first time in my life a level playing field on the event. I would love to see that happening here.

Also, something that seems possible in that part of the world is that organisers are willing to talk to each other, and the result is that organisers have one set of rules that is generally used. This saves an awfull lot of grief, because you dont have to change the spec of your car for every other event.

The reason for me to comment on this without actually turning up on an event is that if the awdc club rules would make sense, some other organisers might actually adapt them, and who knows we all live in harmony ever after....

This is a subject close to my hart and having seen several different types of motorsport regulations, they always are based on the factors that affect performance. In our case, that is tyre size. So my point is that it would be better to base regulations on what makes the car perform better, which is mainly tyres.

Hope to meet you face to face one day, Chris.

Daan