Disco Slave in a Defender?

Morning,

Recently purchased a Defender and obviously recently had my first problem!

It's an 86 military 90 with a early disco 200tdi fitted. The problem was the bite point of the clutch was on the floor. Bit of googling later I find this forum and several fixes - There was virtually no fluid in master, what was left was black. After filling it started appearing on the mat. Sooo I assume the master is on the way out!

Now this is where im slightly confused and its probably something that really doesnt matter but i thought I would ask anyway:

The master is a defender part, right? There seems to be only one so shouldn't be hard to get the right one:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Clutch/Clutch_Master_Cylinder_all_models_-_TRW_Lucas.html

My confusion is what the slave is... Is it a disco slave? Its on the drivers side of the engine bay and is attached to a little damper reservoir. From what I've read this means its a disco part. Is there a difference between defender and disco slaves? Is there much difference between any of the slaves? Does it matter if I'm going from a defender master to a disco slave? I've also read about people fitting a V8 slave to lighten the pedal, is there a v8 one for the disco?? I was gong to get this:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_1/Clutch/Clutch_Slave_Cylinder_-_200TDI_and_V8_from_KA045959_-_Lockheed.html

Not sure what the “from KA045959” means, but seems to be the only one for a 200tdi... ?

hmm... quite a few questions there! haha... one more though, should I bother refit the damper or just bypass it completely?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ian

Righto. So even though they are in different positions the part is still the same! good to know.

So technically this defender salve http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/Clutch/Clutch_Slave_Cylinder_-_all_4_cyl_engines_%28except_300TDI%29_-_TRW_Lucas.html should work.

Read bad things about no-name parts so trying to stick to something like Lucas. Assuming Lucas are solid parts?

Ah... that may be an issue. While I have the original log book and even the keys to the sacrificed disco I'm not sure I have its VIN number! Is there a way of finding it?

Although as kamdiffs steve says, if there isn't a difference between a defender and disco slave... will it matter?

I seem to be making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here! haha :)

I'm not sure I have its VIN number! Is there a way of finding it?

as you have the Disco's V5, the chassis/VIN should be printed on it, should start s with letters SALL*************

& consist of a full 17 digit [leters & numbers] serial number.

Ah, ok excellent, thanks for the info! I'll have a more detailed look at that tonight. Must have missed that when i glanced over it.

And yeah, just noticed on paddocks that there is a slave that goes to KA045958 and one that goes from, so there must be a difference I guess. Same on MM-4x4 too actually, except they give dates to 1992 and from 1992. The Disco was a 91 H, so suggesting its probably before KA045958 etc.

Looking and the technical guides on here (pretty awesome by the way) swapping the pair doesn't look like to big a job. Only thing i need to be careful about is when swapping the slave - not to push the rod out of place or something?? or i will have to split the engine/gearbox to fix. and I REALLY don't want to do that. Any tips before attempting?

Thanks